Text page

Thailand

Thailand forum

Five weeks in Thailand with three small children

Posted by martinah on 21/4/2017 at 13:56

Dear Thailand-experts,
We have visited Thailand twice for a month each time, as a family of four, and travelled in the eastern region, Koh Chang, Koh Kood, Koh Wai, Koh Maak and Trat, Chanthaburi and of course Bangkok.

This time we are five (two adults and children of 7,5,1). We would like to see some new places, yet fear we won't enjoy them if they are too crowded. We didn't quite like Koh Changs northern beach (white sand beach) due to that reason.

We love street food and finding genuine gems, we can live simple as long as it is clean (stayed ten days on Koh Wai no A/C, electricity or hot water).

What about Krabi and the more remote islands there?

Or Trang and Koh Libong etc?
We can't make it too difficult as we are so many children, and we might need to be around other kids at times for play. So a mixture of serenity/ seclusion and a more touristy place would do.

All suggestions are welcome.
We travel January 2018.
Thank you in advance

#1 martinah has been a member since 5/7/2015. Posts: 3

Posted by somtam2000 on 21/4/2017 at 20:12 admin

If you want a quieter vibe, then out of Krabi I'd be looking at either Ko Jum or Ko Yao Noi and Ko Yao Yai while further south (out from Trang) perhaps Ko Libong or, south again, Ko Bulon Lae ...

All these islands will have great weather in January and none should be tooooo busy.

Cheers

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,089

Posted by DLuek on 21/4/2017 at 23:12 TF writer

Libong Beach Resort is a great, inexpensive family place on Ko Libong. I also suggest looking at Ko Muk, which has a similar village vibe but more accommodation and food, and excellent day trip options (Ko Kradan, Emerald Cave, etc.). It's smaller than Libong and better for walking around, but also big enough to do some exploring. With enough time you could consider spending some time on Libong, Muk and Kradan -- they're all close together and accessed out of Trang, though you wouldn't have to return to the mainland in between. Those are some of my favorite Thai islands.

#3 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,346

Posted by martinah on 22/4/2017 at 02:22

Thanks so much for the input. I have read some interesting things about Trang, the food scene seems great, Kopi - got to try that, and also the fact that it's a smaller city might be handy. We need to change airports in between and will have to get some rest and get accustomed to the climate, coming from winter in Sweden.
Any suggestions where to land in in Bangkok for a few days? China town with kids? Or Khao San?
We have stayed once on the other side of the river, too remote, and once in the city center (far from street food).
Love planning this trip!

#4 martinah has been a member since 5/7/2015. Posts: 3

Posted by DavidBaggins on 23/4/2017 at 00:30

If you go to the South like Krabi , think about splitting the way. You can stop in Prachuap Khiri Khan city for example. If you arrive by train from Bangkok (around 5 hours to go), you come exactly to the small city center and can easily walk to your accommodation (there are budget guesthouses here). For a transit stop, it is the best. But .. The place is worth to be seen. The cozy quiet city center stretches along the sea bay with a pleasant seaview -- distant mountains and fishermen boats around. The beach (Ao Manao) is quite decent (shallow but cute). You can easily meet wild dusky leaf monkeys here (ther are friendly!) which is special. Many things to do... I like the city a lot!

Next stop after Prachuap can be maybe Chumphon?.. I have never been there but I see online there are cheap accommodations and some attractions...

It is my third time in Thailand and I always did this way from Krabi to Bangkok by bus without stops. It was wrong, I can say now.

#5 DavidBaggins has been a member since 22/4/2017. Posts: 2

Posted by martinah on 23/4/2017 at 02:32

Prachuap Khiri Khan does seem interesting. A nice thing about having time is not having to stress. Train is a good way to travel with kids, and in order to see the country. Either Chumphon -which seem to have some nice beaches- or Surat Thani. Another possibility is to rent a car for a few days, which would be fun, but slow us down as small kids are no fans of cars.

#6 martinah has been a member since 5/7/2015. Posts: 3

Posted by kelliepnz on 24/4/2017 at 15:21

I have travelled a few times with my children and have found new siam 2 on phra artit rd near koh San road perfect. It is family friendly , has a pool and affordable. You feel as if you are tucked away from all the hustle and bustle of koh san rd, it is only a short walk through alleyways to huge variety of street food etc. It also is near the river where you can catch the river taxi to other sights grand palace, wat arun, Chinatown and sky train. Also nearby they have the new siam palace view which is also in a quiet street. Have fun

#7 kelliepnz has been a member since 23/1/2015. Posts: 12

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.