Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Andman Sea or Gulf of Thailand

Posted by czulsk on 11/5/2017 at 12:24

Hello,

I want to travel to Thailand during the first week of August. I have read that this time of year is the monsoon season. Which side and islands would be best to visit? Im thinking of a 5 day island vacation and looking for some nice beachfront bungalows.

Thank you,

czulsk

#1 czulsk has been a member since 11/5/2017. Posts: 2

Posted by exacto on 11/5/2017 at 21:41

If you are trying to avoid rain, then you would likely be better off on the gulf side. Have a look at the animated Thai weather map for more details at: https://www.travelfish.org/weather_fish.php

Andaman side is usually more rain that time of year. However, it would also likely be less crowded and less expensive as a result of that too. I've traveled quite a bit during monsoon weather, and it can be great. It sometimes rains all day long, but usually it is just a big downpour for an hour or two as the afternoon heat builds to a point. Ta.

#2 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,729
 Send exacto a private message   Where has exacto been? 

Posted by DLuek on 12/5/2017 at 02:23 TF writer

I'd hit the Gulf side -- Ko Pha Ngan with a day trip to the Ang Thong Islands. We were down there last year in August and the weather was good. So many places to stay will be closed in August on the Andaman side, especially on the smaller islands that I tend to like the best.

#3 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,236
 Send DLuek a private message   Website   Twitter 

Posted by czulsk on 12/5/2017 at 03:25

Thanks for the information. I actually visited Bangkok once during 1st week of October. The weather was still hot and it hardly rained.

I haven't visited the southern part of the country and did some research on typical weather. Also, when I did hotel search on the Andman Sea side I still get quite a few hotels during the August 1 - August 6 dates. I'm just a little worried that the islands wouldn't be so much fun, if things are closed.

I'm looking for good area to do some snorkeling, water and beach activities. Also, looking to stay away from the party goer islands where the islands don't have to many tourists.
Thank you,

czulsk

#4 czulsk has been a member since 11/5/2017. Posts: 2

Posted by amnicoll on 12/5/2017 at 05:20

Remember that we can only advise what is the typical picture. These days the weather can be somewhat different than the normal - no rain when it should be raining and lots of rain when it should not be. I would head for where the weather "should be" better.

#5 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 837
 Send amnicoll a private message 

Posted by DLuek on 12/5/2017 at 22:24 TF writer

You'll get plenty of hotels and resorts open in August on touristy Andaman Sea islands like Phuket and Ko Phi Phi. But lots of places close on smaller islands like Ko Phayam, Ko Kradan, Ko Muk, etc. etc. As I said, those smaller islands are my favorites, so I'd go to Ko Phangan, where the weather is generally pretty good and all businesses will be open in August. Phangan has a reputation for parties thanks to the Full Moon Party, but when that's not going on, most of the island is very laid-back.

#6 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,236
 Send DLuek a private message   Website   Twitter 

Posted by dvmartel on 16/5/2017 at 01:11

Stay the heck away from Adaman/ Phuket in August. I've traveled to both and stayed for ~two weeks. You've got five days and no time for a bad stretch of weather. And no one seems to have mentioned the ~two hour van ride from Phuket Airport to where you're staying (assuming Koron or Patong, but I'd not recommend either). That part sucks.

Go for the best weather option and as suggested, and go to to the Gulf. Best bet is Koh Samui. Find beach front places there. BKK (Bangkok) to USM (Sumui) is an hour and the van to the beach is under 30 minutes practically anywhere. Look, you've only got five days. No need to island hop. Find a nice place on the beach and stay on Samui. You have more time to relax, less time wasted to/from airport and better weather. I guarantee it.

fwiw, the weather in Bangkok and Andaman have little if any correlation to Samui and the other near by islands in the protected gulf.

#7 dvmartel has been a member since 16/5/2015. Posts: 1
 Where has dvmartel been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.