Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Help! What to cut out of itinerary???

Posted by pch2nd on 22/6/2017 at 17:56

Hello all,

I am traveling with my father for 20 days through SE Asia. Starting in Bangkok, leaving out of Hanoi. I have to cut something from our itinerary bc i'm thinking it is too packed already and i don't want the poor guy to be completely exhausted. Can you guys give me some insight...i don't want to cut a thing...but i have to, i think. Here we go:

bangkok (arrive..a few days to settle)
angkor wat
chiang mai
krabi or phuket
hoi an
ha long bay
hanoi (fly out..end of trip)

I am leaning to cutting krabi/phuket or angkor wat...he has his heart set on CM bc he is going to do some work at the elephant nature park and he wants to train from bkk to cm. Lastly, we have to leave out of hanoi...

if anyone can give any guidance it would be greatly appreciated!!! (or maybe there is something i have missed altogether)

#1 pch2nd has been a member since 22/6/2017. Posts: 2

Posted by flijten on 22/6/2017 at 18:21

If you could fly from chang mai to siem reap I would cut the islands out as well. It is a day there and a day back with nothing else to connect to, loosing the islands makes the most sense. If you are set on beach time, Hoi An may serve you as well. Being woih your father I presume the islands were not scheduled for heavy boozing :)

If you fly heavily (CM - siem reap, SR - hoi an, HA - Hanoi, this feels just doable. With 6 destinations you have about 3 days everywhere excluding any kind of travel time. Not flying everywhere will cut this on half at least.

#2 flijten has been a member since 19/12/2016. Location: Netherlands. Posts: 55

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by antoniamitchell on 22/6/2017 at 18:23

Oh, boy. Your current itinerary has you looping back and forth across SE Asia - you'd waste a lot of time backtracking and stuck on crappy transport (transport here is slow - it takes a long time to get places) and you've only got 20 days (which isn't that long, once you start subtracting all the transport days), so it's a good thing you're looking to change it.

What I'd suggest is:
- Bangkok
- Ayutheya or Sukhothai - Ayutheya is directly on the way up to CM; Sukhothai is a little off the direct route, but still sort-of-on-the-way (as it's still broadly between BKK and CM). Both are ancient cities filled with attractive semi-ruined temples, so give you a more convenient (albeit smaller) alternative to Angkor.
- CM
- Then fly into Vietnam, for Hoi An, Halong Bay and Hanoi

That's plenty for a 20 day trip, and still covers quite long distances (you'll have to check flight logistics for getting from CM to Vietnam, and see how you can best do it, to figure out the best route to take within Vietnam - you may have to pass through Hanoi a few times, as it's a the main transport hub in the north of the country).

Have a great trip!

#3 antoniamitchell has been a member since 13/5/2012. Posts: 539
 Where has antoniamitchell been?   Website   Twitter 

Posted by pch2nd on 27/6/2017 at 19:52

Thank you very much for the replies! this gives me some good things to think about!

safe travels to all

#4 pch2nd has been a member since 22/6/2017. Posts: 2

Posted by mikal83 on 29/6/2017 at 07:49

Sukhothai is nothing compared to AW, do not miss it all, you'll regret it

#5 mikal83 has been a member since 19/1/2015. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 139
 Send mikal83 a private message   Where has mikal83 been? 

Posted by janmanessi on 20/7/2017 at 02:44

yes, don't miss Angkor Wat. Was in Hoi An and sea too rough to swim in so maybe get hotel with a pool,

Can you start trip in Chang Mai, then get night train to Bangkok. From there bus to Siem Reap, or even better bus/fly to Battambang and go up river to Siem Reap- fantastic trip.

From Phnom Penh you can get a boat through the Mekong Delta to Ho Chi Minh.

Ha Long Bay is beautiful but so crowded with boats and tourists I was underwhelmed!

#6 janmanessi has been a member since 9/7/2017. Posts: 3

Posted by Tilapia on 25/7/2017 at 16:41

Why not something like this?

- Bangkok to CM by train
- Fly to Siem Reap for a few days at Angkor
- Boat through the Tonle Sap to Phnom Penh ... or go by bus
- Fly to HCMC (or boat as mentioned above)
- Train north to Hanoi with a stop along the way

About 6-7 days per country?

#7 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,520
 Send Tilapia a private message   Where has Tilapia been? 

Posted by Megaworldasia365 on 29/8/2017 at 08:53

If you've only got 20 days you need to reduce your travel time to maximise time in each location on your list. Thst means flying instead of using busses or trains. The odd man out on your list is krabi/phuket simply because its in the opposite direction to all the other destinations. Fly from BKK to CM. Then fly to Siem Reap . Spend 3 full days looking at the temples in Siem Reap (a 3 day entry ticket to most of the sites can be purchased at the Angkor Archaeolgical park office for USD 40 per person). After that fly to Da Nang from Siem Reap or Phnom Penh. Hoi anh is about 30 clicks south of Da Nang. Some nice beaches down there. After that fly from Da Nang to Hanoi.
Safe travels
Mega

#8 Megaworldasia365 has been a member since 26/8/2017. Posts: 20

Posted by fotofancy on 11/9/2017 at 13:48

You're right to pick Chiang Mai as the mandatory But whatever you do don't cut Ankor Wat out from your program. It's a 'must see before you die' place.

I would recommend Bangkok - Chiang Mai - Phuket - Siem Reap - Hanoi. Phuket is much better than Hoi An.

#9 fotofancy has been a member since 13/5/2016. Posts: 9

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.