Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Beach for family late July early August???

Posted by jbmcd1 on 22/6/2017 at 21:00

Greetings,

I am looking for a beach for my family (2 children age 10 and 12) for the last week in July and first week in August. At that point we will have been traveling for 6 weeks and will be looking for some proper holiday time.

We will be returning from Laos to Bangkok at this time. Flights to Koh Samui (to get to Koh Tao or Ko Pha Nagano) might cost too much for our budget at that point. Though I would welcome advice on getting the cheapest round trip flight back to Bangkok.

Is it not advised to go to Koh Chang at this time? Is it too wet? We vast prefer off season spots and don't mind the typical afternoon rain.

Thanks for any and all advice!

Kind regards.
Brad

#1 jbmcd1 has been a member since 27/4/2017. Posts: 4

Skip the queues!
Skip the queues!
Ad Book plane, train, bus & ferry tickets
with 12Go Asia.

12go.asia

Read more

Posted by BillGood on 23/6/2017 at 05:40

Fly to Krabi. Plenty of cheap flights.

#2 BillGood has been a member since 22/6/2017. Posts: 14

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by jbmcd1 on 23/6/2017 at 06:31

Thanks BillGood. What is a "cheap" flight so I know what to look for?

Brad

#3 jbmcd1 has been a member since 27/4/2017. Posts: 4

Posted by DLuek on 24/6/2017 at 04:34 TF writer

You can reach Ko Pha Ngan for a lot cheaper (and avoiding Samui) by flying Air Asia, Nok Air or Thai Smile to Surat Thani and booking a transfer from there. All of those airlines offer all-in "fly and ferry" fares, or you could book ferry tickets yourself in Surat Thani. Same deal for Ko Tao but it's only through Nok Air and flying into Chumphon.

By August it does get a lot wetter on Ko Chang (and Ko Kut and Ko Maak), and on the Andaman side (Krabi, Phuket, etc.). If that doesn't bother you then you'll certainly find an "off-season" atmosphere, though also rougher seas and more of a potential for jellyfish encounters -- a couple of Chinese tourists were injured pretty badly by box jellyfish off Ko Kut just last week. Ko Lanta is a good family island that will still have plenty of resorts open for business on the Andaman side in August. But personally I'd go to where the weather will likely be best -- the Gulf side.

If you're up for something different and very quiet, and you don't mind mainland beaches, there are some pretty nice spots around Khanom and Sichon on the Gulf coast between Surat Thani and Nakhon Si Thammarat.

#4 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,329
 Send DLuek a private message   Twitter   Instagram 

Posted by jbmcd1 on 24/6/2017 at 20:52

DLuek,
Thank you for the detailed information! I like the idea of staying on mainland just beyond Surat Thani. Sounds like that will be a quiet yet lovely place.

Kind regards,
Brad

#5 jbmcd1 has been a member since 27/4/2017. Posts: 4

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.