Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Two weeks in Thailand !

Posted by chptvh on 27/6/2017 at 10:19

Greetings,
My girl friend and I will spend two weeks, the last week in July and first week in August in Thailand for the first time. We don’t know whether or not we should book hotels in advance for that particular period. We will fly in and also out from Bangkok. I would love to spend sometimes on nice beaches, to have good food and to do some sightseeing of natures but not really interested in man made things like ruins or temples. Our plan is to stay in Bangkok one day to taste delicious street food and then we would go to Prachuap Khiri Khan, Ko Samui island to relax on nice beaches there and sightsee Khao Sok National Park.

I would welcome advice on practical travel routes, tips (cash, credit card) and times spending in those places.

Thanks for any and all advice!

Kind regards.
Tony

#1 chptvh has been a member since 27/6/2017. Posts: 3

Posted by DLuek on 27/6/2017 at 21:55 TF writer

It's a fine itinerary and good that you're not trying to do too much.

From Bangkok you could take a train from Hualamphong Station or a bus (or minibus) from Sai Tai Mai Station to reach Prachuap Khiri Khan . There are some nice nature spots that you might want to know about north of Prachuap town -- Khao Sam Roi Yot National Park has a rather incredible cave near a secluded beach; and Kui Buri National Park is probably the best place in Thailand for watching wild elephants.

From Prachuap you could continue down to Surat Thani by train or bus and book your ferry ticket to Samui, or transfer straight to a minibus to Khao Sok National Park -- that departs from Talad Kaset 2 Station in downtown Surat Thani. If hitting Khao Sok first you'd be taking a roughly two-hour ride there and back. If hitting Samui first you could then go west from Khao Sok and fly or bus back to Bangkok from, say, Krabi.

Personally I'd hit Khao Sok before Samui so that I could end the trip with the relaxing beach time, and you could fly back to Bangkok at the end from either Samui (that's pricey) or Surat Thani. Or I'd save Khao Sok for another trip (it's closer to the west coast so will likely be rainier) and replace it with one or both of the parks mentioned above up in Prachuap Khiri Khan province.

I'll also add that I'm not a huge fan of Samui -- very heavily developed and a bit seedy in places (at least I'd avoid Chaweng and Lamai). I like Ko Pha Ngan a lot better, though it's really a matter of personal preference. Either way, I'd also recommend a day trip to the Ang Thong Islands.

#2 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,325
 Send DLuek a private message   Twitter   Instagram 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by chptvh on 21/7/2017 at 00:30

Dear DLuek,

Thank you very much for your advice. I will take them onboard all the way.

May I have another question please? Its about travel options in Ko Samui . I have booked a return ticket with AirAsia on 8:00AM Thursday from Lipa Noi pier to Bangkok. Should I stay in a hotel near the pier on Wednesday night or which area in Ko Samui has the most transport to the pier so I won't miss the boat ? I am much appreciated for your advice.

Cheers,

Tony

#3 chptvh has been a member since 27/6/2017. Posts: 3

Posted by mikal83 on 21/7/2017 at 06:25

Confused Lipa Noi pier isn't the airport??? They are on opposite sides of the island.

#4 mikal83 has been a member since 19/1/2015. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 140
 Send mikal83 a private message   Where has mikal83 been? 

Posted by DLuek on 21/7/2017 at 06:42 TF writer

mikal83, I assume they're doing the "fly and ferry" thing with Air Asia, leaving the Raja Ferry pier between Lipa Noi and Thaling Ngam at 08:00 and getting all-in transport to Surat Thani Airport.

Tony, staying on the west coast (Nathon, Lipa Noi) or northwest (Mae Nam, Bang Po) the night before you leave would make things a little easier, but you can arrange a taxi to the pier from anywhere on the island - just ask your accommodation to organize it the night before. If you want to look at accommodation in those areas, see here: https://www.travelfish.org/accommodation/thailand/southern_thailand/surat_thani/ko_samui/all#1130

#5 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,325
 Send DLuek a private message   Twitter   Instagram 

Posted by chptvh on 21/7/2017 at 13:01

Thanks again DLUEK. You got me.
Sorry mikal83, I should say 'ferry+flight' with Airasia

#6 chptvh has been a member since 27/6/2017. Posts: 3

Posted by mikal83 on 24/7/2017 at 09:55

Hey no worries, we prefered KPN to KS I must admit. We were there end of Oct and it was quiet and the 2 accoms we stayed at were 20% full....ish. Enjoyed a pleasant day on a scooter around KPN although the road doesn't go all the way around.......(well it didn't 3 yrs ago).

#7 mikal83 has been a member since 19/1/2015. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 140
 Send mikal83 a private message   Where has mikal83 been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.