Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Use Thai visa for second entry rather than first?

Posted by Williamhdc on 27/6/2017 at 23:46

I've been visiting Thailand for ages and my wife is Thai...never thought I'd be posting a Thai visa question, but here goes...

I'll be visiting Thailand for about 9 weeks, with a side trip to Mauritius a week after I first arrive there. Can I get a Thai visa before entering the first time (easy in L.A., where I live) but ask the Thai immigration agent in BKK to give me a 30 day arrival entry, and not start my visa yet, so I can "save" it for the second entry?

If not I think I'll need to get a multiple entry visa, because it would be too much hassle to get a Thai visa in Mauritius (if that's even possible), and my second visit will be for about 7 weeks. But the multiple entry visa is expensive.

If no one is sure then maybe I'd better get the expensive multiple entry visa, to make sure I'm legal on the second (longer) entry.

Anybody? Thanks in advance.

#1 Williamhdc has been a member since 27/6/2017. Posts: 2

Skip the queues!
Skip the queues!
Ad Book plane, train, bus & ferry tickets
with 12Go Asia.

12go.asia

Read more

Posted by SBE on 28/6/2017 at 05:12

I've done it several times. There's never been any problem not getting my 60 day tourist visa stamped in the past but I haven't tried since the military junta has been in power.

Probably depends a bit on how cooperative the immigration officer is feeling but I think I'd risk it if I had flight tickets out of Thailand to prove that I was only staying a week.

#2 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,055
 Send SBE a private message   Where has SBE been? 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by Captain_Bob on 28/6/2017 at 09:26

The relatively expensive/demanding METV is probably overkill. You (USA passport) can enter visa-exempt each time 30 days, and if necessary (7 weeks) visit an immigration office for 30-day extension @1900 baht. Proof of onward travel (POOT) to Mauritius will clear the way as per boarding the initial flight to Thailand.

#3 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,955

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.