Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

To and from Krabi airport and Railay Beach

Posted by blulynx on 4/7/2017 at 16:25

We will be arriving at Krabi airport at 1955 on December 3 and after searching the internet and forums haven't been able to find answers to the following questions. Hopefully someone here can help :)

*The airport shuttle "is timed to meet arriving flights", until when? Does it operate 24/7?

*Does the airport shuttle go to Ao Nammao?

*Are longtail boats really available at Ao Nammao to Railay Beach until 2300 every day? Is the fee higher after dark? Will we need to pay for the whole boat if we are the only ones there? What is the likelihood of our being the only ones there?

Thanks!

#1 blulynx has been a member since 4/7/2017. Posts: 1

Experience the Andaman Sea
Experience the Andaman Sea
Ad Spend 3 days / 2 nights on The Junk
From US$400.

liveaboard.com

Read more

Posted by flijten on 4/7/2017 at 20:43

https://www.travelfish.org/transport/thailand/southern_thailand/krabi/krabi/all

I think this has most information :)

#2 flijten has been a member since 19/12/2016. Location: Netherlands. Posts: 78

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by flijten on 4/7/2017 at 21:24

I meant to add some:

Basically the shuttles run until 22:00. They don't go to Ao Nammao, but that is an easy white songtaw away from shuttlebus drop off points.

There are longtails boats only a couple of times a day but there is a more regular boat service that does go half-hourly up till about 23:00. I wouldn't bet on the last one though, you never know.... As far as In understand you don't pay for the boat split by passengers but simply pay a set price at the regular service.

Read more at the link above, it has most of the information. Good luck and enjoy your trip!

#3 flijten has been a member since 19/12/2016. Location: Netherlands. Posts: 78

Posted by DLuek on 4/7/2017 at 21:52 TF writer

There will definitely be shuttle buses available for your 19:55 arrival at the airport. Last time I took one,the driver dropped passengers directly at their hotels of choice, so there's a chance they'll bring you straight to Ao Nammao if you ask.

Otherwise you have two options:

1. Take the shuttle to Krabi town and transfer from there to Ao Nammao. Problem with this is that white songthaews *may* have just stopped running by the time you get there. In that case you'd have to take a taxi for around 300 baht.

2. With the above in mind, you might be better off taking the shuttle straight to Ao Nang and catching a longtail boat to Railay from there. Last I checked these departed when full up to midnight. You do have to pay more to go at night, and there is a chance that you'd have to pay for a whole boat if no one else is going, though I reckon that wouldn't be the case since you should reach Ao Nang around 21:00 which is not too late.

If it were me, unless I had very limited time, I'd spend one night in Krabi town and grab a songthaew to Ao Nammao the next morning. This would save you some stress and Krabi is a fun town for a night.

More info in the Railay transport page.

#4 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,329
 Send DLuek a private message   Twitter   Instagram 

Posted by flijten on 4/7/2017 at 22:24

See, I should leave it to the pro's :)

#5 flijten has been a member since 19/12/2016. Location: Netherlands. Posts: 78

Posted by Tennouji on 5/7/2017 at 08:54

If you are arriving at that time and want to make sure to get a boat to Railay then take a taxi. You say "we". From what I can remember from a few years ago, the shuttle is about 150 per person. 300 for a shuttle which has taken me an hour to Ao Nang via Krabi when there are many drop offs versus what, maybe 500-1000 for a taxi. There are far fewer boats from Ao Nammao compared to Ao Nang even during the daytime. It is not worth quibbling over a few dollars if you have pre-booked Railay accommodation. If not, and you are on a budget, do as DLeuk says and stay in Ao Nang for the night.

#6 Tennouji has been a member since 22/9/2007. Location: Japan. Posts: 137
 Send Tennouji a private message 

Posted by DLuek on 6/7/2017 at 00:51 TF writer

^That's a good point on taking a taxi direct from the airport. However last I checked there were not "far fewer boats" running from Ao Nammao; they were running frequently (like every half-hour) throughout the day and into the night. Also I suggested they stay in Krabi town, not Ao Nang, but that is another option worth considering.

#7 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,329
 Send DLuek a private message   Twitter   Instagram 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.