Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Getting to Koh Lipe

Posted by dlewingt on 3/1/2008 at 03:50

My wife and I are planning a trip to Thailand in Feb/08. We plan to visit Koh Lipe and have heard there is a travel advisory for the southern provinces and Hat Yai. Is it as dangerous as the advisory suggests? We were planning to fly into Hat Yai from Bangkok and then take a minibus to Pak Bara. Is there a safer way to get to Pak Bara such as flying into Satun or Padang (Malaysia)?

#1 dlewingt has been a member since 24/10/2007. Posts: 4

Posted by somtam2000 on 3/1/2008 at 06:34 admin

Hi Dave,

The warnings are related to the far south eastern provinces (Narathiwat, Pattana and Yala) -- Satun province (where Ko Lipe is) has been largely unaffected.

There have however been some attacks in Hat Yai, though not for some time now, and as its the southern transit hub, you'll pretty much have to pass through there anyway. If you really wanted to avoid Hat Yai, I'd suggest flying to Trang and heading south to PakBara from there (there's no airport at Satun).

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,576
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by cybervlad on 10/1/2008 at 18:07

Hello dlewingt,

We done this trip in November: fly BKK-HadYai, minubus to PakBara, then speedboat to Koh Lipe. IMHO, this is a safe way. There is high security measures in airport, bus station etc.
Alternatively, you can get direct ferry from Lankgawi (Malaysia) to Koh Lipe. But I don't know exact schedule...

#3 cybervlad has been a member since 6/6/2007. Location: Thailand. Posts: 182
 Website 

Posted by Antaro on 13/1/2008 at 23:25

Hi dlewingt,

there is a new daily ferry from Koh Lanta to Langkawi that also stops in Ko Muk, Trang and on Lipe. Ferry-Details on http://www.kohlipethailand.com/ferry_times.php
That makes it easy to fly into Trang and take the ferry from there. Enjoy!

#4 Antaro has been a member since 13/1/2008. Posts: 6

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.