Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Bangkok splurge on meal?

Posted by CKDexterHaven on 16/7/2017 at 01:20

Is any fairly costly restaurant—or other extravagance—in Bangkok highly recommended as an exception to a fairly moderate travel budget? My father used to speak highly of afternoon tea at the Oriental, but it may not be all it was decades ago. I've never been to Thailand and hear that market food, etc. is of such high quality that anywhere really "nice" may just be about marketing or an atmosphere least challenging to Westerners. Any tips on how to assure the best, least disappointing experience at any suggested venue especially welcome.

#1 CKDexterHaven has been a member since 4/6/2017. Posts: 6

Posted by DLuek on 16/7/2017 at 02:25 TF writer

Bangkok has an exceptional fine dining scene that's up there with Tokyo and Shanghai, and goes way beyond the average restaurants that tourists go to just because they're easy. Some of the best include Nahm, Gaggan, Sra Bua, Paste and Bolan. There are also some terrific midrange restaurants such as Supanniga, The Local and Soulfood Mahanakorn. On Travelfish we've written about some of these but you also may want to check out http://bk.asia-city.com/ for more depth on the local restaurant scene. And yes Mandarin Oriental is still doing the high tea thing at the Authors Lounge.

#2 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,285
 Send DLuek a private message   Website   Twitter 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by exacto on 16/7/2017 at 11:36

I would yield to David's suggestions, as his information is far more detailed and current than mine. But one solid mid-range favorite restaurant of mine is Cabbages & Condoms in the lower Sukhumvit area. It has a wide variety of interesting Thai food, and while service can be hit and miss, I like the atmosphere, which often includes some form of live traditional Thai music. In fact, some friends and I met David there for dinner once. I enjoyed it. I hope he did too.

By the way, if you are looking for a Thai food splurge, and are interested in some serious street-level food options, there is a very good tour in Bangkok I can recommend by Chili Paste Tours. The woman who runs the tours, Chin, has an incredible knowledge of Thai street food, and will lead you to fantastic choices you'd never find on your own. Her rapport with the vendors will help you feel like a local. Definitely worth the money and a fun way to spend a day. You can read more about it on Travelfish at:

https://www.travelfish.org/sight_profile/thailand/bangkok_and_surrounds/bangkok/bangkok/3489

#3 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,754
 Send exacto a private message   Where has exacto been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.