Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Khao Sok and Surin Islands in Dec- family with 2 kids

Posted by kasheshe on 12/8/2017 at 10:49

Hallo everyone! We recently moved to Bangkok (a week ago to be precise!) and already feeling excited.
Currently looking at booking our first holiday in Thailand and was thinking of visiting Khao Sok NP and then making our way to the Surin Islands during the school holidays in December 2017 (would be over xmas and NY).
Would appreciate some advice on how to get to Khao Sok from Bangkok- (we have our own car but not sure whether we can move around easily within the park?) and from there how best to get to Ko Surin and leave the car somewhere safe? We do love driving ourselves but not sure if this is the norm in SE Asia as we dont know the language. I have read that we can fly to Surat Thani and transfer to Khao Sok from there. But we would then need to rely on some tour operator to take us into the park, is that correct?
And after that we would need to get to Kuraburi to catch a ride to ko Surin. Is that easily organized?
Our kids are 10 and 7 and used to roughing it (born and brought up in East Africa). We can probably take 2 weeks off work, so any advice on how long to stay in each place would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks

#1 kasheshe has been a member since 12/8/2017. Posts: 2

Posted by DLuek on 13/8/2017 at 02:33 TF writer

Driving yourself would make things easier for exploring Khao Sok NP, which is essentially split into two sections: land to the west where park HQ and most accomm/tour companies are located, and Chiew Lan Lake to the east which is really the highlight and has floating bungalows if you want to stay there. If you don't drive, you could fly (or train or bus) to Surat Thani and get a minibus to Khao Sok at Talad Kaset 2 station downtown; in that case you would get dropped near park HQ and would pretty much have to employ a tour company to hit the lake, though you can do some hiking on your own near HQ. Khao Sok can also be reached directly from the west coast, Krabi or Phuket, for ex.

Once you reach Khuraburi it's no problem arranging the speedboat to Ko Surin . As I recall there is parking at the pier. You could just go there and buy a ticket direct from the tour company -- you have to book a tour and then arrange for them to pick you up if you're camping on the island. Or I reckon it would be fine to park somewhere in town and book your ticket from one of the travel agents there. I haven't been to Khuraburi for a while but I think this info on local tour companies is still legit: https://www.travelfish.org/transport/thailand/southern_thailand/phang_nga/khuraburi/all

If by public transport, take a bus from Khao Sok to Takua Pa for a transfer to Khuraburi.

Two weeks is actually quite a lot of time for only those two destinations... You might want to throw in one more stop such as Krabi, Ko Jum, Ko Yao Yai / Noi, Ko Phra Thong, Ko Kho Khao, or go further south -- the Trang islands are great for families. Also keep in mind you'll be there at peak time; I suggest booking accommodation at Khao Sok in advance, and expect to camp on Ko Surin unless you arrange one of the bungalows through the NP website (and that's rather a pain) months in advance.

#2 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,277
 Send DLuek a private message   Website   Twitter 

Posted by kasheshe on 13/8/2017 at 23:56

Thanks very much for your prompt reply DLuek! I think we're going to attempt the drive to Khao Sok and park our car at Khuraburi while we are on the islands.
Taking your advice and adding a stop possibly on Ko Phra Thong. Thanks for that.
Ill be working on trying to get my bookings done this week.
Cheers!

#3 kasheshe has been a member since 12/8/2017. Posts: 2

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.