Text page

Thailand

Thailand forum

Nakhon Si Thammarat

Posted by BillGood on 16/8/2017 at 21:45

I would like to stay in town for 2 nights and wondering if it's better to stay near the big wat or the railway station. Would like to be within walking distance of restaurants, shopping centre and street food.

I would also like to do a tour to Khao Luang Np and wondering if they run day tours from the city or whether it is better to self drive.

Budget for room is 1000 to 1500 baht

So far I have looked at the Heritage tropical resort as an option.

#1 BillGood has been a member since 22/6/2017. Posts: 14

Posted by DLuek on 17/8/2017 at 02:20 TF writer

There are restaurants and street food near Wat Mahathat, but more near the train station -- that's the downtown area and where I prefer to stay. Heritage Tropical Resort is out on the highway and there's not much around there. To reach Wat Mahathat from there you'd walk through mostly residential streets.

To hit Khao Luang NP you could arrange a taxi through your hotel in Nakhon town. Keep in mind that it's an extremely spread out park. The main visitor center is at Karom Waterfall to the south; it's worth a visit but Krung Ching Waterfall, which is like an 80 km drive north of Karom, is supposedly the most impressive waterfall in the park (I haven't seen it because it was closed when I tried to go one December). There are a couple of other waterfalls about halfway between those two which were also closed when I was there -- and all of these are basically individual attractions that need to be planned for separately. There's also Baan Khiri Wong, a scenic fruit-growing village at the foot of Khao Luang mountain itself, which is also worth a visit.

So it's the kind of park that really requires a few days to see everything. Otherwise you could pick and choose for a day trip. Karom Waterfall and Baan Khiri Wong can both be reached from Nakhon town by public songthaew, but not Krung Ching or the other waterfalls.

#2 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,346

Posted by BillGood on 17/8/2017 at 06:48

Ok thanks. Might be best to hire a car from airport.

I found a resort called Krung ching hill resort which is near that waterfall.

So 2 nights nst town and then 2 nights krung ching.

#3 BillGood has been a member since 22/6/2017. Posts: 14

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.