Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

DMK to BKK

Posted by Vukz on 31/8/2017 at 13:12

My wife and I are flying into DMK from Trang at 7:15 pm on Tuesday night in December and then we have to catch a flight from BKK to Manila at 10:50 pm. At first I figured this was enough time but I am a little skeptical now. We will be ferrying from Koh Lipe the same day to Hat Yao Pier and taking a taxi to Trang airport before flying to Bangkok. Is this enough time to get from DMK to BKK or are we cutting it too close?

I found another option that would take us on a ferry from Koh Lipe to Pak Bara and fly out of Hat Yai directly to BKK. Flight leaves Hat Yai at 4:15 and gets to Bangkok 5:40 which means we would have 5 hours in between flights. Unfortunately I already booked the Trang flight above and its non refundable. I am fine with eating the cost if the Trang option is not doable. Just wondering what people think.

Thanks in advance,

Jon

#1 Vukz has been a member since 8/5/2017. Posts: 4

Posted by exacto on 31/8/2017 at 18:13

Hi Jon,

I would be uncomfortable with the scenario you describe. I think that technically, you have enough time, but no margin of error if anything goes wrong, like if your flight from Trang is delayed, you have trouble getting a taxi at DMK, or if there is unusually heavy traffic leaving DMK and arriving BKK that evening.

How long in advance does the airline expect you to check in for the BKK to Manila flight?

I guess it comes down to how comfortable you are with the risk, and what the costs and options might be if you turn up late for your flight to Manila. Good luck. I'd like to hear what you decide and how it goes. Cheers.

#2 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,755
 Send exacto a private message   Where has exacto been? 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by Vukz on 31/8/2017 at 18:57

I was thinking the same thing. Too many variables that something could go wrong. Also when we arrive in Manila we take a flight first thing in the morning to Palawan.

I think the flight from Hat Yai adds a lot more flexibility should something go wrong.

The cost is very minimal. I think for the new flights from Hat Yai to Bangkok it is going to run an additional $120 USD. At this point it is risk getting to Manila or just spend an extra $120 and have peace of mind.

Thanks for your input

#3 Vukz has been a member since 8/5/2017. Posts: 4

Posted by DLuek on 1/9/2017 at 02:34 TF writer

You said 7:15 pm in the original post, but it's unclear if that means the flight leaves Trang or arrives at DMK at that time. If it leaves Trang at 7:15, then you should definitely forget about that flight. If it arrives at DMK at 7:15, then I'd say you will *most likely* have enough time to reach BKK in time for the Manila flight. There is a free direct shuttle bus between airports -- look here for info on where to catch it at DMK. You'll definitely want to use that because the taxi queue at DMK can be atrocious.

However I fully agree with exacto in that I would not personally be comfortable with the travel arrangement you've laid out, both because you'll be cutting it close and it's just a rather insane trip for a single day. For this sort of trip involving multiple legs on various boats, vans, buses, planes and immigration counters, I'd spend a night preferably in Trang, or else in Bangkok, to break it up. Lipe to Manila in one day -- expect to be shattered by the end of that ordeal!

If you go for the Trang flight, I suggest that you forget the Tigerline ferry to Hat Yao. Tigerline is notorious for running behind schedule and/or breaking down, and because there's only one boat per day, you can't just catch the next boat if there's a problem. Trang Airport can be reached directly from Pakbara , and Pakbara is accessible from Lipe by a whole bunch of different speedboat companies. So I strongly suggest arranging an all-in speedboat and van ticket to Trang Airport via Pakbara -- this can be booked a day in advance at any travel office on Lipe. In the unlikely event that there's a problem with the transfer, you could shell out for a private taxi arranged through a travel office in Pakbara.

#4 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,287
 Send DLuek a private message   Website   Twitter 

Posted by fotofancy on 19/9/2017 at 01:12

I would recommend to change the route via HDY instead. Thai Smile Airways has flight depart HDY at 6:20 pm and arrive BKK at 7:45 pm should give enough time for your connecting flight. Their services are good as well as on-time record. It should cost you around 60-120 USD depend on the day you travel.

#5 fotofancy has been a member since 13/5/2016. Posts: 9

Posted by amnicoll on 19/9/2017 at 05:53

Arrive (assuming plane is on time) 19.15.
get luggage and out of terminal 19.45 ish
Next shuttle bus 20.00
arrive BKK 21.00
Check in closes 21.50?

Does not leave much if things go a little wrong

Would I take the chance? no

#6 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 873
 Send amnicoll a private message 

Posted by BillGood on 25/9/2017 at 19:23

How long is your stay in Lipe?
If you have time spend 2 nights in Trang. There are a number of tours of interest from snorkelling to caves and hot springs.

Then fly back at a suitable time. Ferries are often running late. I wouldnt do a long ferry trip then a domestic flight then a international flight in one day. Day wasted and stressful.

#7 BillGood has been a member since 22/6/2017. Posts: 14

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.