Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

2 weeks trang / krabi

Posted by doobieninja on 26/9/2017 at 08:52

Hi peeps

I need help...as I'm very confused! After a few forum questions we decided that Dec25th we are going to fly to Krabi , straight to Ko Lanta until the morning of Jan 2nd (7 full days) then up to Railey until the evening 4th where we will return to Bangkok either that evening or the next morning.

We like nature, snorkeling, mopeds, hikes and like some night life but we don't want to be mega busy party zones with no escape. Also, we need to consider where we will be for NYE.

But now, I'm thinking we are not making the most of our time (first time in Thailand) any advice on these 2 ideas would be much appreciated!!

1. Fly To Trang, stay in town for night.
next day off to Ko Muk for 2 days,
then Ko lanta for 5 days where will see in the new year. Will do probably 2 one day boat trips from here too.
Then Railey beach for 2 days, fly back from Krabi - is this expensive travel costs? time consuming?

2. fly to Krabi, head straight to ko Jum for 2 nights 1 full day,
move on to Ko Lanta for 6 days but go and have a night on Ko Mut,
then up to Railey for 2 nights ready to fly back to Bangkok.

Cheers

Phil

#1 doobieninja has been a member since 5/6/2017. Posts: 4

Posted by somtam2000 on 26/9/2017 at 21:02 admin

OK some thoughts:

1) I'd be inclined to stick with your original plan—Lanta is a big island, there is the national park, the old town on the back side of the island, snorkelling and diving—plenty enough for a week.

2) If you were to add something, I would go with the Jum part of plan (2) as Ko Jum is in the same area as Lanta while heading down to Trang and Ko Muk would entail quite a bit more travel time and I'm not sure if you'd feel it was worth the payoff. I wouldn't recommend trying to fit Jum, Lanta and Muk all into the one set of 7 days.

Less is more!

3) For New Years, regardless of where you are, it will be pretty busy and making a reservation would be prudent—tho not essential. Many of the better places that can be booked online will be filling up, so if you know where you want to stay, and it can be booked, then I would lean towards booking it.

Cheers

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,863
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by doobieninja on 27/9/2017 at 04:38

brilliant, thank you!

Was thinking of getting the ferry down to Ko Lanta (must be better than being squashed into a mini van!?) so maybe I could stop at Ko Jum first, on the way down? how long would you suggest as I understand there is nothing really on Ko Jum....which is its attraction.

I have some basic accommodation reserved on Ko Lanta, and its cheap. So maybe for a night we could leave our stuff there and catch a boat to Ko Muk or Ko Kraden if we desire a change of scenery? definitely looking at doing a snorkeling tour and an island tour from Ko Lanta

Cheers

#3 doobieninja has been a member since 5/6/2017. Posts: 4

Posted by wanderer143 on 9/10/2017 at 12:31

Totally agree with somtam that less is more! It would be great to pick two islands max to maximise your trip. I also personally prefer taking a ferry. Love the cool breeze and the awesome views! You could take a ferry to Koh Lanta. You may check the times at PhuketFerry. I've used them multiple times and the experience was always superb. You may also contact them and ask for travel recommendations. I've done it before and they helped me plan accordingly as I was getting really overwhelmed! :) Best of luck!

#4 wanderer143 has been a member since 2/11/2014. Posts: 92

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.