Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

The Nan loop

Posted by Idan78 on 7/10/2017 at 03:53

Hi

In 1/2018 we will do the Nan loop as described in Travelfish by Mark Ord.
We are limitted by max 3 days (2 nights)
1. Does anyone know the distances for each day/section as described.

2.Any ideas how to combine also the 1148 route as it is described as one of the best motorbike toads in Thailand?

Thanks

Idan

#1 Idan78 has been a member since 11/4/2017. Posts: 3

Posted by somtam2000 on 7/10/2017 at 16:37 admin

Hi Idan,

I've ridden that loop and variations on it a couple of times, though a few years ago now, so keeping that in mind...

Mark’s loop goes counter-clockwise ex Nan and it is possible (though I wouldn't do it again) to ride the whole thing in a single day, so you certainly have enough time. As he suggests breaking the trip in Bo Kluea and Pua give you a comfortable pace and leaves time for a wander in the park and so on.

So timing wise, if you left Nan after breakfast and took your time with stops for pics and so on, you'd be in Bo Kluea for lunch. Stay there the evening (the salt stuff in the village is very interesting) then the next morning, take your time going through the park and sleep at Pua and then the last day, back south stopping at Nong Bua and so on.

Another option is to head north from Bo Kluea and go right around the top, passing close to the Lao border crossing then running back down to Pua. This is a truly spectacular ride, but the trade off is you don't get to scoot through the park. If you decide to do this, you'll need a day. A write up of a trip I did up around here with some friends is written up here—I do not recommend doing the entire loop in a day lol)

Route 1148 (which I've also ridden) hooks into a little to the south of Pua from memory, it is a great ride with ace scenery but it only really works if you're heading further afield touring (like to Chiang Kham, Chinag Khong and so on)

Cheers

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,864
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by telmi on 8/10/2017 at 07:13

Route 1148 joins Route 101 near km 412 on this map - http://hobomaps.com/NanToLaosMap.html . Maybe also help w/distances.

#3 telmi has been a member since 1/1/2013. Posts: 24

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.