Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Khao San Road Guide - What to do, etc.

Posted by patjk on 21/10/2017 at 20:41

Hey guys, I've been living in Bangkok for several years and put together a Khao San Road guide that I think would be useful to people visiting.
http://khao-san-road.org

Any feedback would be much appreciated. Works good on mobile and working on a pdf download for offline too.

Thanks.

#1 patjk has been a member since 3/9/2013. Posts: 7
 Send patjk a private message   Website   Twitter 

Posted by amnicoll on 22/10/2017 at 06:07

As someone who avoids the place I can not critique but certainly looks like a good intro so well done

#2 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 872
 Send amnicoll a private message 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by Tilapia on 22/10/2017 at 12:54

Looks pretty good. A couple of things, though ...

Thais don't eat cockroaches, and those are not cockroaches that you see with all the scorpions, crickets, grasshoppers and mealworms in the carts on KSR. They are giant water bugs (https://www.insectidentification.org/insect-description.asp?identification=Giant-Water-Bug).

You may want to change this ...

>> Beautiful located on the banks of the Chao Phraya River, the Grand Palace compound consists of not just one structure but several buildings, pavilions, lawns and gardens, halls, and of course Wat Phra Kaew, also known as the Temple of the Reclining Buddha.

Wat Pra Kaew is not the Temple of the Reclining Buddha. Wat Phra Kaew is the Temple of the Emerald Buddha. Wat Pho, across the street from the Grand Palace complex, is the Temple of the Reclining Buddha.

You've obviously been putting a lot into this. Keep up the good work!

#3 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,520
 Send Tilapia a private message   Where has Tilapia been? 

Posted by patjk on 27/10/2017 at 14:19

amnicoll: Thanks.

Tilapia: Much appreciated feedback. I will update those. Any other advice, thoughts, etc. please shoot.

Cheers!

#4 patjk has been a member since 3/9/2013. Posts: 7
 Send patjk a private message   Website   Twitter 

Posted by davelliot on 27/10/2017 at 21:28

Its worth pointing out some of the newer style 'hostels' may be bit commercialized for some tastes. For those who would like to stay in more traditional style guesthouses it would also be good to list some of the ones that still have dorm rooms . There are not many nowadays but this type of info is no longer available in guidebooks anymore . Its also worth to stress that for those who want something like the old Khao San rd when it was just a low key street of guesthouses its better to avoid the main street itself which is basically just another tourist strip. For example the area beyond Tanao road with Mai Kaidee's vegetarian restaurant and No one restaurant , or the lane the next left hand turn after Buddy Lodge which leads to a quiet area of guesthouses.

#5 davelliot has been a member since 6/9/2017. Posts: 16

Posted by gecktrek on 28/10/2017 at 02:08

hey, if i may play the contrarian for moment, am i the only one that finds it a little galling that not only is the op promoting a rival travel webpage, that is already well covered by the travelfish 'khao san road guide', but is also asking tf members for their input into the content of that page? please discuss...

#6 gecktrek has been a member since 24/3/2013. Location: Australia. Posts: 138
 Send gecktrek a private message   Where has gecktrek been?   Website   Flickr  

Posted by amnicoll on 28/10/2017 at 04:28

As someone who regularly refers others to Travelfish or to the Bradt Guides on the Lonely Planet forum when relevant then I would say that this is a decision for Stuart and the team

#7 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 872
 Send amnicoll a private message 

Posted by somtam2000 on 28/10/2017 at 08:56 admin

Sorry for late reply on this. Have been distracted by the server having a complete breakdown and hissy fit over the last day or so. Also by needing to take my kids to a Graffiti party. (don't ask unless you can tell me how to get spray paint out of clothes!)

To be honest I'd only taken a quick glance over the site mentioned above and as it looked solid (at a glance) and largely non-commercial, I didn't nuke it.

I'm a big advocate of “a rising tide raise all boats” and that the more people/sites/magazines/whatever write about wherever, the more it will encourage people to travel to the region and perhaps end up on Travelfish or at businesses that will appreciate them.

We have a non-commercial rule for personal sites because otherwise, to be frank, the forum would be a non-stop stream of amateur-designed hotel websites loaded with affiliate links. I'm not interested in this forum being that place, so if I decide a site is more focused on earning the owner a buck than improving the travel experience of a traveller, I'll probably nuke it.

Yes, this is a subjective call—load it up with ads and booking boxes and I'll probably remover the listing.

Also, as Davelliot alludes to, the scene is changing—David is just back from his US vacation and will be finishing off our updated coverage for KSR pretty shorty. See the about KSR section on this page for some ideas—I think we only list 3/4 places on KSR proper anymore and they are all substantial places—the days of Bonny Lodge are long gone sadly.

Cheers

#8 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,875
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by DLuek on 29/10/2017 at 00:46 TF writer

Re the comment by daveelliot that info on more traditional style guesthouses with dorm rooms is not included in guidebooks... Travelfish is not a guidebook, per se, but our Khao San Road accommodation section does include some old-style guesthouses that still offer cheap dorms, including Apple Guesthouse, Green House, Laksameenarai Guesthouse and the refreshingly bizarre New Phiman Riverview Guesthouse. We also include a number of old-style guesthouse in the Khao San area that only offer private rooms, often for cheaper than a bunk at one of the countless hostels found all over the city. Finding quality old-style guesthouse remains a major priority for me when covering any destination.

#9 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,283
 Send DLuek a private message   Website   Twitter 

Posted by davelliot on 30/10/2017 at 00:59

Have to give credit that that Khao San Rd Accomm section is giving more info on old guesthouses than is available elsewhere. Apple Guesthouse seems to have changed quite a bit. Further way from KSR does Sawatdee Guesthouse still have a dorm room , just rooms were listed ? back in the day there was a dungeon like concrete room with dorm beds. One of the oldest ones at KSR was VS Guesthouse - old wooden house with balcony down the lane after Buddy lodge.

#10 davelliot has been a member since 6/9/2017. Posts: 16

Posted by DLuek on 31/10/2017 at 22:00 TF writer

Dave, that listing currently up for Sawatdee is pretty old, I'll be revisiting it very soon so I'll let you know!

#11 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,283

Posted by DLuek on 8/11/2017 at 00:06 TF writer

Just following up here re Sawatdee Guesthouse, it is currently closed for what appeared to be a major renovation. I was told it will reopen in Dec. or Jan. Tavee, Sri Ayutthaya, Shanti and Taewez guesthouses all still going strong in the National Library area.

#12 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,283

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.