Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Diving in Thailand February?

Posted by Danila on 25/10/2017 at 10:42

Greetings, we're planning a bit more SE Asia, and looking to the wonderful Travelfish team for some answers again please! Background: older couple, 20+ years diving, lots of places! We know that Thailand tends to be more of a learning to dive place, but with about 6 weeks in country, we're thinking of spending a week or so diving. Timeframe is February, so I think both east and west are pretty ok weatherwise. We've decided against a liveaboard, as it's just a bit too intense for us, we prefer 2-3 dives a day, rather than 4-5. First pass, Khao Lak looks interesting. Any comments from seasoned divers? Other places instead? Again, we do understand it's not going to be the mindblown, best diving in the world, type of diving, but we'd like to do some! (in March we're going back to Labuan Bajo/Komodo for the best diving in the world! ;) )
Thanks in advance, Danila

#1 Danila has been a member since 17/10/2016. Location: Global Village. Posts: 24
 Send Danila a private message   Website 

Posted by DLuek on 30/10/2017 at 09:00 TF writer

Though I'm not much of a diver, I have snorkeled around most of the areas that are popular with divers in Thailand, so I'll give this a stab since no one else has yet.

One place you may want to consider is the Ranong area, which is a lot less popular than Khao Lak and others but puts you within day trip distance of some beautiful spots in both Thailand and far southern Burma. There are a handful of dive outfits in Ranong town (some info here) and a couple more on nearby Ko Phayam. From either of those places you can hit Ko Surin, where I really enjoyed snorkeling a few years back. Ranong is also close to Richilieu Rock and related sites that are reputed to be among the best in Thailand.

Otherwise I think you'll do fine diving out of Khao Lak, Ko Lanta or Ko Lipe. There's also Phuket and of course Ko Tao, though you're likely to encounter bigger crowds at either of those. Lipe is really quite stunning; it developed a lot in the past decade or so but surrounding it is a whole archipelago of national park islands that are completely undeveloped and very beautiful. Here's some basic info on the diving options there.

Regarding Khao Lak, it's a relaxing beach town -- a series of a few related beach towns really -- and not a bad option if you prefer to stick to the mainland. Haven't been for a while but I once did a snorkeling trip to the Similans from there and enjoyed it, though I've seen photos showing disturbingly large crowds in the Similans in more recent years. I'd choose Ko Lanta over Khao Lak based on the destinations themselves, but again I can't comment on which has access to better dive sites.

#2 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,283
 Send DLuek a private message   Website   Twitter 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by Danila on 30/10/2017 at 12:49

Hi David, thanks so much for your detailed reply, and all the helpful links. Going to check out your blog too :)
More research for me, but your reply helps me to narrow things down a bit!
thanks and happy travelling! Danila

#3 Danila has been a member since 17/10/2016. Location: Global Village. Posts: 24
 Send Danila a private message   Website 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.