Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Update on buses from Phuket airport to Phuket Town

Posted by antoniamitchell on 16/1/2018 at 18:23

Hi everyone,
Just a quick update on my recent experience of the buses and mini buses from Phuket airport into Phuket Town .

Although the mini bus desks all still list Phuket Town as a destination, none of them will sell you a ticket to Phuket town. I was variously told no buses went to Phuket town and I should take a taxi; that the buses did go but I'd missed the last one for the day so I should take a taxi; that the buses did go but only once every 3 hours so I should take a taxi; etc. Don't know why the various desk staff can't just be honest and just say they've decided to stop running this mini bus route, but the long and short of it is that you can't buy these tickets any more.

The government bus still runs - the schedule is available on the bus website (http://www.airportbusphuket.com/). Costs 100B into Phuket Town. In Phuket Town the terminus is the old bus station, but you may find it more convenient to alight one or two stops before; there's a route map available on the website which you can click down into to see the exact route in Phuket Town, although it may not be that accurate (the map shows the bus using Thungkhar Road and Thepkrassattri Road as it approaches the Phuket Town bus station, but when I took it we actually used Yaowarat Road and Dibuk Road, so I alighted on Dibuk Road for the Soi Rommani area.)

Please note: at the airport, the bus leaves from in front of the small domestic terminal (which is next door to the international terminal). It leaves directly across the driveway from the main entrance to the domestic terminal with the covered portico area. Look for a big orange bus, with an orange-shirted conductor selling tickets. There's no signage, so if the bus isn't waiting, you'll just need to hang about in front of the domestic terminal until it appears.

The information about where the bus goes from appears to be kept hidden to stop tourists using it - the bus website just says "outside arrival hall" without mentioning the terminal; there is no signage at all at the airport (except for an abandoned and unmanned info desk which is - I kid you not - hidden behind a wall as you drive out of the airport driveway, so you can basically only see it if you look behind you as you leave); and virtually no one at the airport will or can tell you where the bus leaves from.

Hope that's useful.

#1 antoniamitchell has been a member since 13/5/2012. Posts: 541
 Where has antoniamitchell been?   Website   Twitter 

Posted by somtam2000 on 17/1/2018 at 17:12 admin

Thanks Antonia, will get that updated on the site. Cheers!

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,987
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Instagram   Pinterest 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.