Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Koh Phangan - Which beach?

Posted by ladelstal on 2/4/2018 at 05:12

Hi!
Would like to get your view on the beaches on Koh Phangan. We are a family with 2 teenagers (14 & 16). We don't want to go to a resort beach yet neither to an isolated beach with few options to eat and socialize. We are used to traveling. We are looking for a beach with a nice laidback vibe, where you can walk on the beach and find alternatives for eating with feet in the sand; sit in the shade and take a drink or read a book. Although we have teenagers we are not looking for a party place but if the beach can offer a place where people meet up for drinks, games and social life, that would be perfect. From googling I have narrowed it down to the following:

Haad Salad - Nice beach with a bit of development, few places to stay
Haad Yao - Nice beach like Salad, a bit bigger/more options for staying than Salad and more developed
Thong Nai Pan Noi - Lovely beach and vibe, but a bit up-market
Thong Nai Pan Yai - Lovely beach and vibe, like Noi but more budget options.

What do you think, which one do you think would be the beach for us :)? Many thanks for sharing your knowledge. Lotta

#1 ladelstal has been a member since 27/3/2018. Posts: 1

Posted by somtam2000 on 8/4/2018 at 19:40 admin

Hi Lotta,

Sorry for the late reply, I've been offline the last two weeks.

All four of the beaches you list are very solid options, though I'd say Haad Salad is more built up than Yao, mostly because Salad is a smaller beach, so there is more crammed in.

As you say Thong Nai Pan Noi is quite upmarket—there is nowhere on the beach I would consider being affordable there. Thong Nai Pan Yai is a great beach—one of my faves on the island—and of the four you mention, I would lean towards there.

Take a look at Longtail Resort, at the far southern end of the beach, or, at the northern end, Candle Hut both of these are good options for a family. Also, because Tong Nai Pan Noi is not to far away, you get a better range of eateries and bars etc.

Also, you may find this story helpful which is a round-up of family-friendly spots on the island.

More questions, ask away.

Cheers

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,996
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Instagram   Pinterest 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by wanderer143 on 16/4/2018 at 00:02

I love Haad Yao and Thong Nai Pan Yai. Looks like these are the beaches that are ideal for your fam.

#3 wanderer143 has been a member since 2/11/2014. Posts: 115

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.