Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Solo female on the Mae Hong Son Loop

Posted by miech333 on 4/10/2018 at 21:26

hey guys,
I'm hoping to do the Mae Hong Son loop when I visit this January, 2019. Heading in solo and going to find some fellow people that want bike the route with me. However, if I don't find anyone, I still want to do it.
Solo female doing the Mae Hong Son loop? Thoughts?
I am moderately experienced on a motorbike. I live in a city and ride a 50cc scooter around town. I also survived in Vietnam, albeit sleepy Hoi An. Oh, I almost drove off a cliff in SaPa, but I feel like I learned something from that one. I do have an international driver license (although not a international motorbike license). I am fairly confident, my only worry is taking a spill in a remote location and being stranded. I will have travel insurance. I'm doing the shorter loop, skipping Mae Sariang, and have 7 days to complete it. I want to take my time and not plan the sleeping arrangements, would that be a mistake in January. Are there any other things I should be thinking of? Thoughts, comments, concerns?

Thanks yall

#1 miech333 has been a member since 4/10/2018. Posts: 2

Posted by amnicoll on 6/10/2018 at 04:31

As a single female do not worry just take the same precautions you would anywhere else

I will offer no advice about the motor cycle apart from saying this is a far greater risk

You do not need to book anything

Enjoy

#2 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 934
 Send amnicoll a private message 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by Tilapia on 10/10/2018 at 15:04

Recommend this site for information on routes, side trips, road conditions, and maybe even finding someone to ride with ... https://www.gt-rider.com/

#3 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,524
 Send Tilapia a private message   Where has Tilapia been? 

Posted by Captain_Bob on 11/10/2018 at 03:26

If your start/end point is Chiang Mai note there are frequent police checkpoints in and around the city. Without a motorcycle license from home and an IDP they may fine you 500 baht on the spot (or slightly less if you report to the local police station).
Check out http://motogirlthailand.com/mae-hong-son-loop the website is run by a long-time expat who has done lots of rides around the region, often solo. She might be able to offer tips and maybe even some riding partners. The loop is popular in January.

#4 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,954

Posted by amnicoll on 11/10/2018 at 04:02

without motorcycle license from home then travel insurance will be invalid in case of accident

#5 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 934
 Send amnicoll a private message 

Posted by Tilapia on 11/10/2018 at 10:25

@ Captain Bob ... is this really the case now for scooter rentals, or for larger motorbike rentals?

I'm heading back in a month and planned on renting in a few places.

Thanks.

#6 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,524

Posted by Captain_Bob on 14/10/2018 at 02:48

^ Rental or not doesn't matter to the cops, but they do seem to target "farang" riders. The checkpoints in/around CM have become more strict in enforcing the "rule" of either home m/c license + IDP or Thai license for the past few years. Random guess which days and where they are set up although some of the locations are known to locals, and they usually go home after 3pm or if it's raining hard. Been a lot of criticism lately of renters who don't check for license and warn their customers.

#7 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,954

Posted by Tilapia on 14/10/2018 at 09:01

Okay, thanks. I was planning on renting in PKK, Phetchaburi and maybe Kamphaeng Phet/Tak area.

#8 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,524

Posted by neharani on 30/10/2018 at 22:18

First of all more power to you girl , Riding solo is not an easy task as You are driving in a new place Without a motorbike license.
wherever you go being a motorbike rider prepare for the worse, you should know stuffs:

1.How to fix your bike's puncture.
2.Learn various wring methods of the bike.
3,Check the routes which are safe and have lots of fuel stations with fooding available and with good hotels safe for women.
4.You need to have a GPS tracker too.

ALL THE BEST
ALWAYS WEAR YOUR HELMET AND RIDING GEARS. LIFE IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN AN ADVENTURE

#9 neharani has been a member since 23/2/2017. Posts: 44

Posted by davelliot on 3/11/2018 at 08:27

Actually Mae Sariang has excellent forest countryside outside the town to ride a motorbike. The town unfortunately has lost the street view of the river with all the bars , restaurants , guesthouses and resorts built above the riverbank. Unfortunately Riverside Guesthouse a budget guesthouse with a river view is closed for renovations . Despite this if you had more time Mae Sariang is worthwhile.
Its also worth doing the route by public transport - there are minibuses going every hour between Chiang Mai and Mae Hong Song . Public transport means you can stop for however you want along the way. For example Tham Lod village 9 kms from Soppong. Most on rented bikes just come to look at the cave and then go back to Pai even though there is nice scenery and walks in the area and one could easily spend days there.
At places along the route very common to see riders with bandages on their arms or legs. Without insurance could be financial disaster if unlucky enough to have serious accident.

#10 davelliot has been a member since 6/9/2017. Posts: 31

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.