Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

3.5 days in Chiang Mai - What to do

Posted by Pb2484 on 15/11/2018 at 04:10

I'm having some dental work done and have about 3 and a half days where we can explore the city and get away overnight if there is somewhere special to go. I have a bike licence and can rent a scooter. We prefer the non beaten track. After Chiang Mai we are heading to Chiang Rai for a couple of days and over to Nth Laos for a few weeks. Any suggestions please?
Thanks, Pete

#1 Pb2484 has been a member since 7/1/2016. Posts: 7

Posted by Catoni on 22/11/2018 at 01:46

Well Pete.... Chiang Mai has a very interesting zoo and aquarium close to Chiang Mai University. And you might want to check out the Night Market.

A Thai saying goes, "If you haven't tasted Khao Soi, (also called “Chiang Mai Noodles” by many people in Chiang Mai), or seen the view from Doi Suthep, then you haven't really been to Chiang Mai." ..

Wat Phra That is on the mountain to the west of the city. The temple is often referred to as Doi Suthep, but Doi Suthep is actually the name of the mountain the temple is on. The temple’s real name is Wat Phra That (pronounced “Wat Pra Tot”)
On the street near the north gate of the “old city” you should be able to get a red songthaew that will take you up Doi Suthep mountain to the west of the city to the temple. When you get up to where everyone gets off, then you can either climb the more than 300 steps of the huge staircase up to the temple, or take the incline tramway to the right of the stairway for a small amount of money. If it is not smokey season (farmers in the mountains burning field stubble off preparing for new planting) then you will have an amazing view from the temple terrace. Take your camera.

I’ve been up there three times...always love it. Make sure you get a map of the temple complex.

There are other amazing temples, like Wat Chedi Luang in the old city and Wat Umong just to the Southwest a bit. Chiang Mai and the surrounding area has literally hundreds of temples. But those three are in the top five or ten in my opinion.

Just check up on temple etiquette before going to temples if you are not familiar. But believe me, it’s worth it.
So many, many things to do in Chiang Mai, and also the surrounding region in the north part of Thailand. Have a great time, but you might want to spend more that there or four days.

Have a great trip, and don’t forget to try Durian ice cream. I love it. ????

#2 Catoni has been a member since 1/1/2017. Posts: 2

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.