Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Krabi and surrounding islands in July ?

Posted by CathJones on 18/4/2019 at 11:22

I’m travelling in Thailand with my husband and teenage daughters for 3 weeks in July/ August. We’d like to spend 3/4 days in Krabi, on or around Railey beach and perhaps head off to some of the islands in that area. I’m a bit concerned about the weather. I would expect downpours as it’s the rainy season, but are the showers short-lived in the main and will there be enough sun to make the most of the lovely beaches? My friend went to Phuket last August and the weather was glorious the whole time, perhaps she was just lucky! I wondered if anyone could share their experiences of the weather at this time of year please.

I am also considering staying a few days on Ko Lanta or Ko Lipe ? My girls would like a bit of nightlife (but not full on party scene!) I’m aware that some islands are off limits, or many businesses closed during this season. Does anyone have any recommendations please?

Following this we will head to the west coast spending some time in Nakhon Si Thammarat Province and then heading over Ko Pha Ngan. On our way back to Bangkok I’m considering a few days in Prachuap Khiri Khan. Any thoughts on our proposed itinerary or advise on places to stay and things to do would be very welcome.

Thanks for reading my post.

Cath J

#1 CathJones has been a member since 7/4/2019. Posts: 4
 Send CathJones a private message 

Skip the queues!
Skip the queues!
Ad Book plane, train, bus & ferry tickets
with 12Go Asia.

12go.asia

Read more

Posted by somtam2000 on 19/4/2019 at 10:41 admin

Hi Cath,

Thailand’s southwest coast is pretty wet and wild in July. I would expect a fair bit of rain, most days, though not every day. Yes it is often just a downpour for an hour or so with the chance of sun afterwards (and before), but perhaps more importantly the seas are rough and boating around can be quite uncomfortable.

So, yes, you can go and on the upside the crowds will be lower, but due to the seas some boats may not always be running and you should expect a fair amount of rain and less clear rains.

Ko Lanta will be very quiet that time of year, it is under the same climate zone as the above, so the same advice carries. Personally I wouldn't bother with Lipe in July.

Heading from Krabi to Nakhok Si Thammarat then Ko Pha Ngan and Prachuap Khiri Khan all sound like sensible options. Another one for consideration could be Khao Sok National Park which is to the northwest of Krabi—a little out of the way given your other destinations, but perhaps a nice alternative to Ko Lanta.

Cheers

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,021
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Instagram   Pinterest 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by CathJones on 20/4/2019 at 16:41

Thanks very much for the advise and your comments on our itinerary. I think we will still visit Krabi but skip a stay on the southwest islands this time.

I have looked at your suggestion of a trip to Khao Sok National Park and I would be keen to visit. However, we read that the leeches are out in force at this time of the year and my daughter is reluctant to go after one got very attached to her while we were in India !

Best Wishes ,

Cath

#3 CathJones has been a member since 7/4/2019. Posts: 4
 Send CathJones a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.