Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Your favorite area close to but not in Phuket

Posted by LTnHH on 24/5/2019 at 15:45

Hello

We are planning our Singapore-Thailand trip (Dec 2019-Jan 2020) and will be ending it by four days in the Phuket area--chosen because air connections back for US return are plentiful.

I am trying to find feedback on beach areas close to Phuket airport but not Phuket-it does not at all sound like our kind of place. We are in our 50's, not budget travelers but not overly extravagent; love a good beach, good food, and a few tourist options (maybe Elephant sanctuary? Or Tiger preserve?) And I would love to know your ideas if you could share. Khao Lak is one mentioned often, I see. We will be flying around Singpore/Thailand and so do not care to go to any islands (another trip, I hope).

We have tickets for afternoon return from Phuket to Singapore four days after arrival.
Thank you in advance for any information!

#1 LTnHH has been a member since 16/4/2019. Posts: 2

Skip the queues!
Skip the queues!
Ad Book plane, train, bus & ferry tickets
with 12Go Asia.

12go.asia

Read more

Posted by exacto on 25/5/2019 at 00:55

As you mention, Khao Lak is worth a look, particularly if budget isn't a big issue. Takua Pa District might be nice too. You could also consider a tour out to the Similan Islands, on a live aboard boat for snorkeling or diving.

#2 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,786
 Send exacto a private message   Where has exacto been? 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by Lotuseater on 2/11/2019 at 04:13

Karon Beach is away from Phuket town and much quieter. It has some decent hotels like Centara Grand beach Resort which is right on the beach and quite luxurious. Ask for a room in Block 9. A good walk along the sand or by road into the town of Karon where there are plenty of decent hotels, restaurants, bars and massage places.

Please do not go to elephant or tiger places. The animals are not treated with respect, whatever they may say.

Enjoy your travels.

#3 Lotuseater has been a member since 2/11/2019. Posts: 2

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.