Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Multiple entry Thailand

Posted by FFfietsen on 31/8/2019 at 15:57

Hi,

I read you can only travel overland to Thailand twice a calendar year (more often by plane).
Is this is correct? And are authorities strict on this? We'll be cycling through SE Asia for 4 months and will cross the Thai Border overland for at least 3, maybe 4 times

#1 FFfietsen has been a member since 31/8/2019. Posts: 2

Experience the Andaman Sea
Experience the Andaman Sea
Ad Spend 3 days / 2 nights on The Junk
From US$400.

liveaboard.com

Read more

Posted by telmi on 31/8/2019 at 21:18

Yes you are correct re 2 times overland and no fixed limit on flight arrivals. As for the 3rd & 4th overland in a calendar year doubtful you'll get a clear answer anywhere but if you haven't been to Thailand in a while and your Thai stays are less than 30 days each trip I'd guess you'll be fine. The two times overland rule is to stop people from living in Thailand on tourist visas and if it's clear you're not playing that game I'd guess your chances are pretty good. I had good luck getting a 3rd cal year visa on arrival at the Golden Triangle checkpoint when the Thai immigration officer saw me bring my bike with me thru the checkpoint. It's not what visa runners usually do so make your bike visible and use it like a baggage cart taking it right up to the window with you.

#2 telmi has been a member since 1/1/2013. Posts: 34

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by DLuek on 1/9/2019 at 10:11 TF writer

Just to clarify, the two overland entries per year rule applies only to visa-exempt entries, i.e. crossing the border with no visa so that you get a free 30-day stay in Thailand. The rule does not apply to travelers crossing overland with a visa in hand. So, to avoid the possibility of being turned around at the border, you could pick up a tourist visa in Savannakhet or Vientiane (appointment is now needed for Vientiane) for your 3rd overland entry.

If you need a 4th overland entry, I'm afraid you may need either another single-entry tourist visa or a multi-entry tourist visa. The latter would cover you for your whole trip (up to 6 months), but you have to apply at a Thai embassy or consulate in your home country before your trip, and there are annoying requirements such as proof of bank balance of at least US $7k and/or a letter from employer. More here.

#3 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,337
 Send DLuek a private message   Twitter   Instagram 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.