Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Custom Clothing - Chiang Mai if possible

Posted by LTnHH on 14/10/2019 at 18:58

Hello

We will be visiting Thailand (arriving first in Singapore) end of December 2019. I am interested in custom clothing-perhaps a pants/jacket for me (female) and suit for my husband but we are larger than Asian sizes so I want to look into custom options before we leave US. We will be in Chiang Mai Dec 31 for 4 days - I am not sure yet if New Years is a holiday there- and then Bangkok for three days. I would love to be able to head for somewhere at beginning of either city's visit so as to be able to get this done, if it is possible.

Anyone who has experience with this in either city; I would greatly appreciate guidance! Thanks so much.

#1 LTnHH has been a member since 16/4/2019. Posts: 2

Experience the Andaman Sea
Experience the Andaman Sea
Ad Spend 3 days / 2 nights on The Junk
From US$400.

liveaboard.com

Read more

Posted by DLuek on 15/10/2019 at 12:58 TF writer

New Years is a major holiday in Thailand.

I don't have a specific recommendation, but both Chiang Mai and Bangkok have plenty of tailor shops in the touristy areas, so you can easily walk around to check them out, or just google "good tailors in Chiang Mai" and you'll find plenty of options. You being "larger than Asian sizes" does not matter, as the tailor will measure you and make the clothes to fit however you want.

#2 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,337
 Send DLuek a private message   Twitter   Instagram 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by exacto on 15/10/2019 at 22:13

In my experience having custom clothes made in Thailand, which is admittedly a bit dated, it takes three visits to get them properly fitted; one to initiate the purchase and get measured, one as an intermediate fitting, and a final fitting/pick up.
With that in mind, be sure to be very up front about how long you will be in town and the absolute latest you would be available for the final fitting/pick up, to make sure you aren't disappointed. That would be particularly true over the busy New Year holiday.
Also in my experience, most tailor shops in Thailand are retail sales outlets, with the actual tailoring done by a small cadre of outside people who service several shops each. Because of that, you can focus your purchase on the quality and variety of the fabrics in each shop. Cheers.

#3 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,786
 Send exacto a private message   Where has exacto been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.