Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

from Bangkok to Lipe by bus / van

Posted by suanonna on 11/11/2019 at 08:02

hi everybody,

I would like to know if it's possible to reach Lipe from Bangkok by bus / minivan.

I think I read something about it somewhere on the internet, but couldn't find that article again...

Please let me know if any of you made it, or simply have more info about it.

thanks in adv.

#1 suanonna has been a member since 7/1/2019. Posts: 3
 Send suanonna a private message 

Experience the Andaman Sea
Experience the Andaman Sea
Ad Spend 3 days / 2 nights on The Junk
From US$400.

liveaboard.com

Read more

Posted by amnicoll on 13/11/2019 at 11:35

yes you can get bus to Satun but not my idea of fun

if it were me I would take the overnight train to Hat yai and van

#2 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 960
 Send amnicoll a private message 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by DLuek on 13/11/2019 at 14:08 TF writer

There are no direct buses from Bangkok to Pakbara , where the pier for Ko Lipe is located. You could take a bus to Trang or Hat Yai and then transfer to a minibus to Pakbara. Or you could take a bus all the way to Satun but there's no point, since you'd have to backtrack from there by songthaew to La Ngu and then switch to another songthaew onwards to Pakbara (there was no direct transport from Satun to Pakbara last I checked, and no direct ferries from Satun to Lipe either).

Most buses to any of those places depart from Sai Tai (Southern) terminal in Bangkok and most of them leave between 16:00 and 20:00. They're night buses that would get you to whichever city you choose at some point in the morning, and from there you could go off to find the van to Pakbara. Depending on how late you arrived, there is a chance you'd get stuck in Pakbara for a night. Considering that ferries from Pakbara to Lipe take a couple of hours, not including time waiting at the pier, the best you could hope for is a straight 24-hour trip all up. You'd be beat by the time you got to Lipe!

I agree with Amnicoll, an overnight train to Hat Yai (or Trang) would be a lot more comfortable. Or flights to Hat Yai or Trang usually aren't too expensive if using a budget airline like Air Asia or Nok Air.

#3 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,339
 Send DLuek a private message   Twitter   Instagram 

Posted by amnicoll on 14/11/2019 at 12:03

I was unaware there were no direct public transport from satun to Pakbara

I do not know about Nok Air but it costs nearly as much as a sleeper just to take your luggage on Air Asia

#4 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 960
 Send amnicoll a private message 

Posted by suanonna on 20/11/2019 at 08:08

ok, so I booked a flight to Hat Yai. Anybody could tell me where to take a shuttle van or bus to Pakbara? Or maybe a collective taxi?

#5 suanonna has been a member since 7/1/2019. Posts: 3
 Send suanonna a private message 

Posted by DLuek on 23/11/2019 at 12:53 TF writer

There are a few options...

If you want to go the independent / local way, public vans depart for Pakbara from Talad Kaset Station a few km west of the train station -- note, this is not the main Hat Yai bus terminal but a smaller one mainly used for vans. Last I checked, these vans were departing roughly every 40 minutes from 08:30 to 18:30 for 110 baht. From the airport you should be able to catch a public van to this station for 100 baht, although you might have to take a tuk tuk from downtown if the airport van driver won't take you all the way to Talad Kaset Station. If you go this way, you could just walk into the pier and buy a ferry ticket when you arrive in Pakbara (the vans park near the pier). The final departure for Ko Lipe was at 16:00 last I checked.

Another option is to use a travel agent. The website thaibeachtravellers.com offers all-in tickets from Hat Yai airport to Ko Lipe, picking up at the airport at 09:30, 11:30 and 13:30. (The same vans originate downtown, leaving an hour earlier). Their price is 740 baht including the ferry ticket. You could try searching for other travel agents in Hat Yai and see if they could do it cheaper while still picking up at the airport.

Yet another option, depending on the airline you're flying with, is to arrange a "fly and ferry" ticket through the airline. I think both Air Asia and Nok Air offer this between Hat Yai and Ko Lipe. If you've already booked the flight, you might be able to add the van/ferry transfer to Lipe through the airline's website or by calling them, or perhaps when you check in for your flight. But I don't think it would be any cheaper than either of the above ways.

#6 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,339
 Send DLuek a private message   Twitter   Instagram 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.