Text page

Thailand

Thailand forum

Gulf or Andaman Sea for best beaches?

Posted by valentinaforno on 6/5/2022 at 12:29

Hello, I am planning a trip in late December and I was thinking about going to Koh Samui and Koh Tao, because I've already been to Koh Phi Phi, Kraby (Railay) and Koh Lipe. However I'm beginning to question my choice as it seems that the beaches are not as nice as the Andaman Coast. I need someone that has been to both places to give me an honest answer as where I can find the best, more pristine, whitest beaches in Thailand. Thank you!

#1 valentinaforno has been a member since 30/8/2012. Posts: 37

Posted by somtam2000 on 6/5/2022 at 12:52 admin

It is a hard call, but between the two areas you mention, I’d lean towards the southern Andaman Sea, so from Ko Ngai south. Ko Kradan has particularly great beaches, but is one of the pricier islands, Ko Muk one of the cheaper ones, with a more backpacker vibe, but the beaches are not the best, south again, Ko Bulon Lae has one particularly white beach, and, of course, Ko Lipe, while heavily developed, does have excellent beaches—though you’ve already been there!

Ko Samui, Ko Pha Ngan and Ko tao all have great beaches, some are quite white, but the Andaman coast, in my opinion, has better ones. This itinerary piece may be useful...

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,079

Posted by valentinaforno on 6/5/2022 at 13:00

Thank you! I will check Ko Kradan. I suppose to get there I can take a ferry from Phuket, is that right?

#3 valentinaforno has been a member since 30/8/2012. Posts: 37

Posted by somtam2000 on 6/5/2022 at 23:25 admin

If the Island Hoppers are running, yes. Pre Covid they did a milk-run from Phuket south all the way to Ko Lipe, with a stop at Ko Kradan (depending on the operator) along the way. Three of the main ones were:

Bundhaya

Tigerline

Satun Pakbara

If they are not operating (they look to not be at the moment, but it is wet season), you’ll need to get to Trang on the southwest coast and take a boat from there. Perhaps check with the resorts on Ko Kradan for the latest take on what will be operating by the end of the year.

Cheers

#4 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,079

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.