Text page

Thailand

Thailand forum

Any backpacker travel updates?

Posted by Barbara123 on 29/7/2022 at 00:50

My last trip to Thailand was in early 2019, and I'm dreaming of returning early next year.  I'm wondering how similar or how different it will seem.  For example, do my favorite cheapie guesthouses still exist?  Do buses and minivan services run as they previously did, or have the routes and frequencies been curtailed?  Are the historical parks and other touristic attractions keeping similar opening hours as they previously did?  Is it like here at home where everything's gotten a lot more expensive?  In general, what's changed and what remains the same?  If it matters, I'd probably mostly be traveling in central and northern parts of the country, maybe Ubon or Petchaburi and Prachuap Khiri Khan.  Any recent experiences would be helpful, thank you!

#1 Barbara123 has been a member since 8/9/2013. Posts: 1

Posted by exacto on 29/7/2022 at 13:52

Hi Barbara,

I'm in Prachuap Khiri Khan at the moment, having spent the last month bouncing around between Bangkok, Korat, Phimai, Udon, Nong Khai, and Ban Krut. Travel is popular again in Thailand, fueled mostly by domestic travelers and Thailand-based expats, with a few backpackers and other westerners visiting too as part of the mix. The pandemic definitely changed the landscape, with lots of businesses like guesthouses and restaurants closed - some still waiting to reopen and some closed permanently. Interestingly enough, however, many of my old favorites are still in business - and there are a surprising amount of new places which opened during the pandemic lock down too, so you'll still be spoiled for choice in most towns. The historical parks and museums I've visiting are operating normally, again with mostly domestic visitors. Prices have increased a bit since I was last in Thailand in February 2020, just before the pandemic lock down started, but nowhere near as much as they have in the United States or Mexico (by comparison). Many restaurants have posted signs explaining that the average price for food is increasing by 5 to 10 baht per item. The average price I'm paying for a comfortable flash packer level guesthouse is 600 to 650 baht per night - up a bit but still super affordable and great value for money. Some State Railway of Thailand train routes are not operating at the moment, but I've had no trouble getting a train to where I'm going so far this trip, with only the Special Diesel Railcar routes selling out in advance (like they always did before too). Buses and domestic flights seems to be operating normally again too.

Anyway, I hope this general overview helps. Let me know if you have specific questions. Cheers.

#2 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,833

Posted by nicocina on 2/8/2022 at 02:59

Hi Barbara, 

I’ve lived in Bangkok for 10 years and spent Covid here, traveling all around the country every time I had holidays. What I’m seeing now is what I would define as the right amount of tourists: not too many as it was in 2018-19 but enough so that local people work but we all can have fun and live the country more sustainably. This would be a great time to come to Thailand as a tourist. Less minivans maybe but that’s just better for everyone’s safety on the road ;-)

Enjoy your trip! 

Nico 

#3 nicocina has been a member since 8/12/2013. Posts: 1

Posted by oliviafoster on 15/8/2022 at 11:24

Hi, my name is Olivia Foster. I have to fly from Thailand to New Zealand next week. Does anyone know where you can hire a car at Auckland Airport? I know only one company. I want to have more options to compare.

#4 oliviafoster has been a member since 13/8/2022. Posts: 1

Posted by exacto on 16/8/2022 at 23:04

Hi Olivia,

You might get more responses if you start a new thread with your question rather than piggyback on a thread that is not related to your topic.

Either way, the Auckland Airport website lists six different rental car companies doing business at Auckland Airport. You will find them at this link: 

https://www.aucklandairport.co.nz/transport/rental-cars

You might wish to check each company's website for prices and availability. I also suspect you will get a better deal if you reserve a car in advance online rather than just turn up and see what is available. Good luck!

#5 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,833

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.