Text page

Thailand

Thailand forum

Krabi or Not Krabi?

Posted by exacto on 5/8/2022 at 07:45

That is the question ...

I'm in Hua Hin at the moment and expect to be here for at least the next two weeks. Several of my Travelfish member buddies have commented off line that they aren't big Hua Hin fans. With the traffic and other issues, I can understand why, particularly when compared to my recent visits to Prachuab town and sleepy little Ban Krut. But at the same time, Hua Hin's current vibe reminds me a bit of Bangkok in the 1990's, which was one of my favorite times in Thailand.

Anyway, I'm in this general area because it is officially the rainy season, but this part of the country historically gets far less rain than other areas, measured in both number of rainy days per month and volume of rain. So far that has been the case this year too.

That being said, I have lots of time to spend, and I thought it might be fun to head down to Krabi for a few weeks to explore. The Travelfish weather guidance suggests that all the rain in Krabi and surrounds this time of year would be like living at the bottom of a waterfall. I am, however, seeing correspondingly super cheap airline fares and even cheaper hotel rates for Krabi as a result.

So, has anyone been to Krabi during the rainy season? Is it a worthwhile risk to go, or would I be better off to save the trip for a drier season instead? If I didn't go to Krabi, where else might be fun to visit this time of year? Cheers.

#1 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,848

Posted by davelliot on 6/8/2022 at 08:27

Yes, I have been there at this time of year. It wasn't raining all the time, but more like on and off every 45 mins and when it did rain it was heavy pelting rain. But it can vary. If you want to avoid the rain then head to the Koh Samui side. If Koh Samui is too developed for you then try Koh Phangan which although not really the alternative island it once was it still has some remnant budget traveller style spots although declining. If you don't mind developed beaches you can try Thong Nai Pan otherwise  Bottle Beach,Than Sadet are alternatives.

#2 davelliot has been a member since 6/9/2017. Posts: 62

Posted by DLuek on 6/8/2022 at 20:52 TF writer

I'd still go if I were you. :) Rainy season or not, Krabi is one of the most beautiful parts of Thailand. Sea will likely be rough and there is always a risk of running into a tropical depression that keeps things rainy for days, but more often than not, it's manageable if prepared. During the rainy season I spent there, we had a handful of clear days that were absolutely brilliant -- better than any dry season days b/c no haze and the landscapes so much more lush. Days like that were rare, but often we'd get a sunny morning then afternoon showers that often pass in time for sunse (head to Hat Noppharat for that). I'd focus on exploring the mainland and leave the islands for when you can come back in dry season. The waterfall at Khao Phanom Bencha NP should be thundering by now.

#3 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,348

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.