Text page

Thailand

Thailand forum

Food on trains Bangkok to Chiang Mai

Posted by Woolton on 19/8/2022 at 22:42

I'm starting to plan a trip to Thailand in Jan/Fab next year.  I'm weighing up whether to catch a budget flight or sleeper train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai.  What's the latest with food availability on the train?  I've read that the restaurant car was at one time not available due to Covid but am unsure how up-to-date that is.  Any comments would be appreciated.  My wife and I will have about 10kg of luggage each.

#1 Woolton has been a member since 31/12/2012. Posts: 48

Posted by exacto on 20/8/2022 at 01:01

We rode the overnight train from Nong Khai to Bangkok late last month. Food was not available through the train. We were in a first class cabin (awesome, by the way, if you have a chance to do that) so didn't see private vendors coming through to sell food and drinks either on that overnight route, and don't know if they were working the second class cars.

We rode a daytime second class train from Bangkok to Prachuap Khiri Khan earlier this month and there were dozens of private vendors walking through the aisles selling food and drinks. Several other shorter third class routes since have also had plenty of private vendors selling snacks.

Trains are still departing Bangkok's Hualamphong station, so if you decide to take the overnight train to Chiang Mai, it won't be difficult to purchase food before you board to take with you on the train.

The overnight train trip from Bangkok to Chiang Mai is the better option than the return overnight trip from Chiang Mai to Bangkok due to departure and arrival times. There is plenty of space in the first class cabins (under the lower berth plus additional floor space) for your luggage. Second class sleeper cars have luggage racks in the aisles for your stuff. Be sure to keep valuable with you in the bunk if you travel second class.

I hope that helps. Regards.

#2 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,847

Posted by Woolton on 20/8/2022 at 08:02

Thank you, that's very useful info.

#3 Woolton has been a member since 31/12/2012. Posts: 48

Posted by exacto on 14/9/2022 at 10:04

Just a quick addition for the Special Diesel Railcar, which is an air-conditioned all 2nd class train that runs along major routes. I took this special train car from Prachuap town to Chumphon recently, and there were no independent vendors working the aisles. This train is unusual, however, in that a meal is included in the fare and an attendant will deliver it to you shortly after you are seated and the train is underway. The food is no great shakes, however, so I wouldn't count on it unless I were very hungry. It consists of a tray packet of ready-to-eat rice and plastic envelopes of curry or other typical Thai style rice toppings. Mine were a chicken and a fried mackerel on the recent trip. The included snacks are more appealing, to me anyway, and are usually a packet of dried banana chips and two packets of cookies (biscuits) or crackers. Cheers.

#4 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,847

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.