Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Trouble Choosing an Island!

Posted by JamieB on 17/1/2008 at 04:00

I have been reading the descriptions for each of the Thai Islands and I still can't figure out which island/s are the best to visit! This will be my first time to Thailand and I have only heard about Phuket, but I have been turned off by the number of negative comments made on the blogs. I am young and looking to meet other travelers but also want a real taste of the culture and the Thai people. Does anyone have suggestions as to what their favorite islands are? I will traveling in early April for 2 weeks.

#1 JamieB has been a member since 17/1/2008. Posts: 3

Posted by somtam2000 on 17/1/2008 at 06:10 admin

Hi Jamie,

My first suggestion would be an island in the southwest -- eg Ko Sukorn or Ko Libong -- these are very low-key places though -- you'll meet some other travellers, but not a lot.

Otherwise it's difficult to recommend an island that is good for meeting other travellers and one that offers a real taste of Thai culture/people. For instance Ko Yao Noi is great for culture/people, but you'll meet few travellers there, while Ko Pha Ngan or Ko Tao are great for meeting backpackers, but not so hot on the culture side.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,568
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by khunwilko on 17/1/2008 at 09:19

If you want to experience Thai culture etc, it's worth bearing in mind that most Thai people don't live on islands, they live on the mainland and work for a living in factories and on farms etc

#3 khunwilko has been a member since 27/1/2007. Posts: 560

Posted by Guernseystu on 17/1/2008 at 17:12

Depending on how soon you will come here I may be able to help you with a suggestion. I will be visiting Koh Pha-Ngan next week as I have heard about a very quiet little area of the island that is the polar opposite to Had Rin. Quiet, cheap accommodation, few tourists and good food.

Some years ago I went to Koh Lanta and it was one of the best places that I have been but this has surely changed by now.

#4 Guernseystu has been a member since 10/7/2007. Posts: 108

Posted by JamieB on 18/1/2008 at 03:29

Thanks for the information everyone! And Guernseystu, let me know what you think about Koh Pha-Ngan when you get back. I will be arriving at the beginning of April...

#5 JamieB has been a member since 17/1/2008. Posts: 3

Posted by khunwilko on 18/1/2008 at 09:19

rememvber that the middle of April is Song Khran...the Thai new year....so everywhere will be pretty full

#6 khunwilko has been a member since 27/1/2007. Posts: 560

Posted by Guernseystu on 2/2/2008 at 23:43

Just got back from Koh Pha-Ngan and I, once again, have faith that not every beach in this country has been entirely ruined. Great place, cheap bungalows and lots to do. The only downside for me was the food. Mainly foreign stuff (which is okay once in a while) and crappy Thai food as a backup. There were no vendors or little food shops selling proper Thai food.

Anyway, heartily recommended, so just go to this link and see The Wife's picture report

#7 Guernseystu has been a member since 10/7/2007. Posts: 108

Posted by somtam2000 on 3/2/2008 at 07:31 admin

Hi Guernseystu -- that's some nice pics -- I didn't realise there was another bay after Haad Khom -- great find.

Glad you managed to dodge all those naked stoned hippy types... ;-)

#8 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,568
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.