Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Anyone been to Phayao Northern Thailand ?

Posted by henricartier on 15/3/2008 at 21:16

I would love to hear any experiences in this area, including Chiang Mai, which I heard is big, bustling and polluted from local farmers burning forest? A malicious rumour or some truth there? I also see April is a 'hot' time for 'farangs' to visit Thailand, as even the locals head for cooler places. I will be in Northern Thailand all April so any travel tips and accommodation ideas would be very welcome.

#1 henricartier has been a member since 14/3/2008. Posts: 12

Posted by wanderingcat on 15/3/2008 at 23:03

all my Phayao posts here:
http://thewanderingstraycat.blogspot.com/search/label/phayao%202005

was a last minute decision, went with zero plan, just hopped on a bus at Chiangrai bus station that would not travel to any of the places we had been to before (pretty much of Chiangrai province)...so missed out on some interesting spots & temples (like Wat Nantaram or something like that - beautiful Burmese-style wooden temple on Chiang Kham outskirts) that we read about only much later. with no map, had to rely on speaking Thai to find our way around (didn't see a single farang while in Phayao province).

all over the north there is haze from the burning - not so much of forest, but post-harvest rice fields in lowlands...at least that's what i observed from buses & Chiangrai-BKK flights over the past few years.

anything specific that you are interested in seeing?

#2 wanderingcat has been a member since 21/10/2006. Posts: 730
 Send wanderingcat a private message   Where has wanderingcat been?   Website 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.