Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Bangkok to Chiang Mai - where to break the journey

Posted by kierjan on 14/4/2008 at 22:59

Hi all, New to here but have been recommended by other forums. I'm try to plan a RTW trip and i'm looking to try and plan the Thailand part. At the moment the plan is to arrive in to bangkok, head north before going to Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia and then back to Bangkok form there we'll head to the Islands before going on to Oz. Anyway I'm hoping someone here might be able to help me with somewhere to break the Bangkok to Chiang Mai part of the trip. I'd like to see at least one other part of Northern Thailand. timewise we'd probably have about 2-3 days.
I'm half thinking of going from Bangkok to Kanchaburi for a few days then back to Bangok and flying to Chiang Mai. What do you all think. Or is there somewhere else along the way that we could stop at (we don't have to fly)
TIA, Jan

#1 kierjan has been a member since 14/4/2008. Posts: 11

Posted by Jon_Mak_Mak on 15/4/2008 at 00:13

Hi,

I would recommend going to Kanchanaburi or Ayutthaya. K-buri has the bridge over the river kwai and a few other places to see and is quite a nice little place. Erawan national park is a nice place and a good day out. You might need 2 or 3 days here to make the most of it but depends how quick you move.

Ayutthaya has lots of really good old wats to visit and I would recommend this place for a day trip from bangkok. Leave early in the morning with a return train ticket from Hualampong station and return in the evening when you've finished.

If you do either (or both) of these you could then fly from BKK to CM. Air asia or Nok air are cheap!!

If you wanted to travel over night you could get the train to CM and sleep on it. Otherwise there is the option of a government or private bus (this is the last option for me and probably the least safe!) GET THE GOVERNMENT bus and dont bother with one from Ko san roads tourist bus MAFIA!

Personally, I would deff fly.

Hope That helps.
ANT.

#2 Jon_Mak_Mak has been a member since 21/2/2007. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 464
 Website 

Posted by somtam2000 on 15/4/2008 at 05:32 admin

Good suggestions there from Ant, another option would be Sukhothai -- train from Bkk to Phitsanulok then a connecting bus to Sukhothai then onwards to Chiang Mai by bus.

#3 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,706
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by ChangFai on 15/4/2008 at 13:26

My choice would be Phitsanulok , and take a day trip through to Sukothai .

#4 ChangFai has been a member since 10/4/2007. Location: Thailand. Posts: 139

Posted by exacto on 15/4/2008 at 21:35

Excellent suggestions above and you'll find that the problem is too many choices and great options. Personally, I might try visiting Kanchanaburi first and then from there heading directly to Ayutthaya for an afternoon visit to the temples and UNESCO area before boarding the overnight sleeper train to Chiang Mai. It would require a bit of advance planning to get the sleeper seats on the train you wanted, but well worth it.

Another option from those above might be to do a short trip out of Chiang Mai once you arrive up north. Again, there are many to choose from, but one that really sticks in my memory as a pleasant two-day side trip was Chiang Dao. No mater which you choose, have fun.

#5 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,685
 Send exacto a private message   Where has exacto been? 

Posted by Jon_Mak_Mak on 16/4/2008 at 04:39

Yes, Gotta agree that Chiang Dao is a really nice place. If you do go there Chiang Dao caves are good. You can also go to Mae Teang Elephant camp on the way or way back.

#6 Jon_Mak_Mak has been a member since 21/2/2007. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 464
 Website 

Posted by kierjan on 16/4/2008 at 18:06

Wow Thanks for all that info everyone. Defintely helps.:)

#7 kierjan has been a member since 14/4/2008. Posts: 11

Posted by Tilapia on 16/4/2008 at 22:22

1) Train to Phitsanulok
2) Bus to Sukhothai
3) Si Satchanalai by motorbike from Sukhothai for a night (worth it)
4) Return to Sukhothai
5) Back to Phitsanulok (do not miss Wat Yai)
6) Train to Chiangmai

#8 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,508
 Send Tilapia a private message   Where has Tilapia been? 

Posted by kierjan on 17/4/2008 at 03:56

Thanks a million for all your advice. I think exacto summed it up perfectly when he said "Excellent suggestions above and you'll find that the problem is too many choices and great options."
We're thinking that we'll go bangkok to chiang mai by plane and spend the extra 2 days in Chau Doc. As we're doing a loop through Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia beginning and ending in Bangkok before hitting the island we might visit either Kanchanburi or Ayutthaya for a 2 day trip from Bangkok when we get back there. Thanks again for all the great input.
Jan

#9 kierjan has been a member since 14/4/2008. Posts: 11

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.