Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Going to Chiang Mai - I'm nervous!

Posted by dancercr on 19/4/2008 at 12:43

Hey everyone.
Okay so I'm a 23 yr old female, and I am planning on travelling to volunteer at the Elephant Nature Foundation which is outside of Chiang Mai. So far I'm travelling alone. I have a few questions:

I have read that travelling alone is alright, and since I don't really plan on going anywhere but Chiang Mai and the ENF I'm not to worried, however I'm still wondering if going alone would be a bad idea. Any thoughts?

When would be the best time of year to go?

This question is fairly emberassing - I have a severe phobia of large insects - and I know that going to a Nature Park near the Jungle isn't necessarily the best thing for that! However if someone could tell me a little bit about what insects are native to that area and what I should do to 'prepare' that would help alot :)
All in all I'm really excited, but I feel like I don't know nearly enough about Thailand. I'm reading as much as I can, but any information you could provide would be awesome!

#1 dancercr has been a member since 19/4/2008. Posts: 1

Posted by myrhmaid on 19/4/2008 at 15:38

Hi there. I've lived in Chiang Mai for a year (it's great), and traveled lots on my own - you'll be fine, just use common sense. As for insects, you'll see lots of ants, and a large looking beetle type thing, but unless you have a huge phobia of geckos, it'll be ok.

#2 myrhmaid has been a member since 30/11/2007. Posts: 12

Posted by cecyinjapan on 23/4/2008 at 13:26

I've been to Thailand 8-9 times, and Chiang Mai pobably 5-6 times. I am also female and usually travel alone. I've never had any problems. As Myrhmaid said, just use common sense, and you'll be fine. Have a good time at the elephant foundation.

#3 cecyinjapan has been a member since 23/4/2008. Posts: 1

Posted by caseyrebecca on 26/4/2008 at 13:03

I highly recommend the cooking course at A Lot of Thai if you're looking for something to do in Chiang Mai - nicest people ever!

#4 caseyrebecca has been a member since 22/4/2008. Posts: 10

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.