Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Best place to get open water diving - Koh Phi phi?

Posted by janujanu on 18/5/2008 at 20:05

I want to get my open waters diving certification. I was thinking of heading towards Phi phi as I've already been to Koh Tao last year. Does anyone recommend any other place in the area for diving?? I'm looking for a place where I can chill out for 4-5 days, where I can find good diving centers and not be be too isolated as I'm traveliing solo and would like to meet other travellers.

#1 janujanu has been a member since 18/5/2008. Posts: 1

Posted by swag on 19/5/2008 at 12:52

I was on Koh Lanta in March which is south of Phi Phi. This is a little more quiet than Phi phi and has excellent diving. I had two full days diving and there was a number of people getting their tickets. I used Lanta diving which I found to have competitive prices good quality hire gear and top spots to dive at.No matter where you choose you are best to do your course at a 5 star IDC Centre. These have the highest accreditation from Padi so from a safety angle is my preference where ever I dive.

#2 swag has been a member since 28/3/2007. Location: Australia. Posts: 331
 Send swag a private message 

Posted by cybervlad on 27/5/2008 at 14:33

janujanu, I can recommend you to stay on Phuket. You can take daytrip to Phi-Phi and other beautiful divesites. Personally me after getting my OWD certification take my first "certified" dive at King Cruiser Wreck, Shark Point and Koh Doc Mai. There is also good sites: Anemone reef, Racha islands etc.
Near Phi-Phi you can dive at Maya bay, Koh Bida Nok, Viking's cave.
Also you can take 2-3-5 day safari to Similan archipelago and possible Surin island + Koh Tachau + Richelieu Rock.
For accommodation in Phuket you can select either quite beach ("chill out") or center of night life :)

#3 cybervlad has been a member since 6/6/2007. Location: Thailand. Posts: 182
 Send cybervlad a private message   Website 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.