Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Travelling from Bangkok to Chiang Mai

Posted by Ikkersheim on 10/6/2008 at 18:10

Hi all,

I will travel from Bangkok to Chaing Mai vice versa with to kids (15,17). Can you give me some tips on activities along the road because they are not that patient to see all the temples etc. After arrival we will stay 3 or 4 days in Bangkok. The question is will I go then straight away to Chiang Mai or via via? And if so via what route? Via Ayutthaya to Sukothai to Chiang Mai? Better to do this on the way back?
The last week we will spent on the coast or an island. What is best to fly from Chiang Mai ti Koh Samui or go by train to Bangkok and trai, bus or plane from there.

Budget is partly an issue nut time as well.

Can you help me balancing?

Thanks in advance
Donald

#1 Ikkersheim has been a member since 7/5/2008. Posts: 5

Posted by Tilapia on 11/6/2008 at 08:06

How about Lopburi? Loads of monkeys all over town, and there's an excellent old marketplace. Plus, it's a great town to rent motorbikes in for exploring the countryside and nearby villages, and there are many.

Sukhothai is also a great stop and another great place to rent motorbikes in. You can rent bikes for about 120B/day and head up to Si Satchanalai through miles of lovely farmland with hills on the western horizon (leading to Tak ... or go to Tak). Si Satchanalai is only a couple of hours away, and well worth the trip. It's a great little community with a treasure chest of old temples scattered through the hills that hardly anyone visits. You can swim in the river there, surrounded by nothing but hills and the odd village.

I'm sure that there are plenty of inexpensive flight options to Samui, or at least from Chiangmai to Bangkok. Train-boat is always a possibility, too, and not expensive at all. Actually, going by train is a lot more fun.

#2 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,499
 Where has Tilapia been? 

Posted by somtam2000 on 13/6/2008 at 19:10 admin

Good advice from Tilapia there.

We ran a story a while back on a homstay out from Ayutthaaya -- could be an interesting diversion for kids. You can read more about it here.

#3 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,576
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.