1) We are starting to plan a flexible Thailand itinerary on a three-week trip, and it looks like from Chiang Mai, we will probably have time to EITHER go west to Pai and Mae Hong Son OR north to Chiang Rai. If we have to choose between these two, any suggestions which would be better? Also, we're going in August--how real is the possibility of travel being shut down due to rain?
2) Does anyone know if it is possible to catch the overnight train to Chiang Mai from Lopburi if we stop in Ayyuthaya and Lopburi on the way to Chiang Mai from Bangkok?
3) Is the rain on the Andaman coast side bad enough in August to make it not worth going there? Or might it still work out if we're ok with the rain?
Thanks for the help.
#1 ComingtoThailand has been a member since 3/6/2006. Posts: 5
1) I'd say heading out Pai way is the better option - the atmosphere is more rural and the scenery spectacular -- try to find time to stop at Soppong if time allows. Very unlikely that rain will be incapitating the transport system.
2) If you get the early morning train out of Bangkok you can jujmp off at either Ayutthaya of Lopburi, but to do both in one day is pushing it. Lopburi better lends itself to this kind of plan as you can see most of what lopburi has to offer in an hopur or two -- Ayutthaya on the other had is better done as an overnight stop as there is far more to see.
3) The rain will not be torrential all day type rain, rather a few hours of heavy rain per day. The main issues are rain, rough seas and cloudy water (so poor snorkelling). All that being said, 1000's go to that part of the country in August anyway.