Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Bankok Airport to Khoa San Road

Posted by Loena on 10/7/2008 at 07:35

Hi all,

This is my first oveaseas trip on my own, very excited! I want to know how far Khoa San Road is from Bankok airport. Also, do i need a visa to get into Thailand? I'm from Australia if that hepls.

Thanks.
Peace and love to all.

#1 Loena has been a member since 8/7/2008. Posts: 1

Posted by somtam2000 on 10/7/2008 at 10:04 admin

Welcome to Travelfish Loena,

There was a recent discussion about bangkok to KSR here so you might want to give that a read.

Also this story summaries Bangkok's new airport.

For visas, for an initial stay of not more than 30-days you do not need a visa for Thailand, but if you're staying longer, a tourist visa is the recommended option.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,706
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by sirhalberd on 13/7/2008 at 02:03

For your country (and the US, Canada, UK and many EU countries, you will get a free 30 day stamp in your passport which is like a "Visa on Arrival." If you intend to stay longer you can opt for a different type visa that you pay for. But, if you intend to visit another country such as Laos, Malaysia or elsewhere do that trip before the 30 days runs out. On your return to Thailand you can get another free 30 days. There are limits of no more than 90 days this way out of a 180 day period.

From the airport you have several choices. Meter taxi is probably what you have to use after midnight. If you arrive during the day hours up to just before midnight you can use the Airport Express bus. The Airport Express bus kiosk is located near door 8 bottom level. Price was 150 baht a month ago. There is a bus to Khao San Road area, Sukhumvit and a couple other places. This bus gets you near your hotel and you lug your bag the rest of the way.

If there are 2 or more in your party then a meter taxi may come out close the same price for door to door service in half the time of any bus.

Also, there is a small bus station located on the airport grounds and they do have a cheap city bus into town. To get to that transportation center you have to take a free shuttle bus. The meter taxi and Airport Express bus leave direct from the terminal not the little bus station. For some places you would still have to take a meter taxi to continue your ride to your hotel.

Have a good trip.

#3 sirhalberd has been a member since 30/12/2007. Posts: 295
 Send sirhalberd a private message 

Posted by sirhalberd on 13/7/2008 at 02:28

When you take a taxi in town tell the driver "meter only" and the fare will be cheaper than bargaining the price. Wave a moving meter taxi over, parked taxi's often want to bargain the fare and you pay more.

Meter taxi cabs are cheaper than tuk-tuks and safer.

Have small bills for paying taxi fares, driver often claims he cannot change a 500 baht note and expects you to stupidly say "keep the change!"

Bus ride from airport is around an hour. Taxi ride is around half that time.

Good luck.

#4 sirhalberd has been a member since 30/12/2007. Posts: 295
 Send sirhalberd a private message 

Posted by gijsvanpelt on 27/7/2008 at 04:39

i would go by taxi, it will save you half the time, but is more exprensive, but after a long flight I wouldn't look down for a couple of dollars, taxi is about 350 incl. toll fare and the bus wil be 150.

A nice place to stay in bangkok is lamphu house right off KS road. It is not your lowest option, but they still have about 400 baht rooms, nice and safe place!!!

Enjoy ur trip

#5 gijsvanpelt has been a member since 10/6/2008. Posts: 13

Posted by cookiepower on 30/7/2008 at 18:09

i totally agree with staying in lamphu house get a fan room and shared bathroom it is one of the best 395 baht a night i paid and i am definitely staying there when i go back in a few months and they have a very good flip flop stall next to it i brought the most comfortable flip flops ever black teva ones which got stolen one full moon in koh phangan. oh well only 3 months till i get to buy more ; )

#6 cookiepower has been a member since 12/7/2008. Posts: 19

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.