Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Equipment for hiking in northern Thailand

Posted by ruzickaf on 15/7/2008 at 14:40

Hi all,
I'm gonna spend my vacantion in Thailand between Sep. 7 and Sep. 21 with my wife and I've decided I'd cover a trek to the mountains (Chiang Mai/ Chiang Rai surroundings) in northern Thailand in my plans. However, recently I deal with a question about outdoor equipment, such as appropriate shoes, clothing, backpack, gps and so on. I've read some travel guides (for example Rough Guides, Student Agency Travel Guide...) and the information are offen quite different and I'm a little confused. Should I've high-low boots or (hybrid)sandals? Shall I need soft-shell/fleece jacket, sweater or T-shirt? Long trousers or shorts? Is there risk of snakebite?
And last but not least, does anybody know about reliable, time-tested agency in Chiang Mai/Chiang Rai which provides 2-3 days treks to the hill tribes for a small groups (2-3 participants)?

Thanks for your suggestions.
Filip.

#1 ruzickaf has been a member since 27/5/2008. Posts: 4

Posted by somtam2000 on 16/7/2008 at 09:33 admin

Hi Filip,

Should I've high-low boots or (hybrid)sandals?
Hybrid sandals

Shall I need soft-shell/fleece jacket, sweater or T-shirt?
T-shirts and a fleece for the evening.

Long trousers or shorts?
Personally I'd go with trousers, but personal choice here.

Is there risk of snakebite?
About the same risk as walking in the woods anywhere in the world.

And last but not least, does anybody know about reliable, time-tested agency in Chiang Mai/Chiang Rai which provides 2-3 days treks to the hill tribes for a small groups (2-3 participants)?

Not really. Best to give our Trekking in Thailand story a read.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,568
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.