Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

traveling from nong khai to aranya prathet/poipet border crossing into cambodia

Posted by ryanfisher on 8/8/2008 at 14:22

i recently found out that i can't travel south through laos to cambodia, via veon kham crossing, without a prearranged visa and i am not sure i want to spend 5 days in vientiane waiting to get a visa for cambodia. so, does anyone know if it is difficult to go via nong khai to the aranya prathet/poipet border directly east of bangkok without going into bangkok?

thanks

#1 ryanfisher has been a member since 8/8/2008. Posts: 6

Posted by somtam2000 on 8/8/2008 at 15:30 admin

That's news to me -- Cambodian visa on arrival at that crossing have been available for some two years now. What was your source for the information on them no longer being available?

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,575
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by ryanfisher on 8/8/2008 at 19:29

some border crossings are open for a visa on arrival, while some of the less used ones are not. as far as i can tell the one from south laos to cambodia is not ones of these.

#3 ryanfisher has been a member since 8/8/2008. Posts: 6

Posted by somtam2000 on 9/8/2008 at 09:13 admin

If you're travelling from Laos to Cambodia, visa on arrival is available. If you're travelling the other way, a Lao visa on arrival is not available.

In answer to your original question, the overland route is not difficult -- you need to transit via Nakhon Ratchasima if I remember correctly, however, if you're doing this route solely because of the visa, you don't need to, as Cambodian visas on arrival are available at that crossing and have been for years now.

Hope that helps.

#4 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,575
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by ryanfisher on 9/8/2008 at 12:17

thanks a ton for the info. i guess that i either read the cambodia visa site wrong or simply misunderstood. i will just go south through si phan don to steng trung like i originally wanted. thanks again.

#5 ryanfisher has been a member since 8/8/2008. Posts: 6

Posted by ryanfisher on 9/8/2008 at 12:40

admin,

are you absolutely sure that the border crossing is open for visa on arrival when crossing from laos, via voen kham crossing, to cambodia? i continued to look online and everything tells me that only two border crossings with thailand and one with vietnam issue visas on arrival. is this all old information? thanks again, and sorry to be a bother with the same question.

#6 ryanfisher has been a member since 8/8/2008. Posts: 6

Posted by ryanfisher on 9/8/2008 at 12:41

and yes, the route through thailand is only a back up to being able to easily cross through from laos to cambodia. i think in the end i can arrange a cambodia visa in luang prabang anyway, so this makes it possible to that route no matter what. thanks.

#7 ryanfisher has been a member since 8/8/2008. Posts: 6

Posted by somtam2000 on 9/8/2008 at 17:23 admin

Well it's been some time since I've personally been to that border, so there's no guarantees, but we've had a notice on the visa and border crossings FAQ saying Cambodian visa-on-arrival is available at the land crossing there for a few years now and nobody has complained...

We've also got a story on the overland route here

#8 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,575

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.