Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

cambodia, laos, bangkok?

Posted by robweintraub on 29/8/2008 at 11:19

I am planning on spending 4 days in Siem Riep/Angkor,and 4 days in luang prabang, should i cut these trips short a day to see bangkok for a day before flying home?Can i do anything in a day in bangkok?

#1 robweintraub has been a member since 29/8/2008. Posts: 2

Posted by Tilapia on 29/8/2008 at 19:35

If you have one full day in Bangkok you can see several of the major sites without having to do much running around, AND (more importantly) get a few excellent meals into you before flying out. Probably even a massage.

The Temple of the Emerald Buddha/Royal Palace, Wat Pho, Flower Market, and Wat Arun are all within walking distance of each other (Wat Arun is a ferry ride across the river.)

If you aren't into temples, you can sort out a canal tour of Thonburi (do not let them take you to the Aligator Farm), a stroll through Chinatown, or you could hop on the water taxi and head up to Nonthaburi for a stroll around the market near the pier.

I think that aside from the temples, the best thing to do in a day in Bangkok is head to Samut Sakhon (Mahachai) on the Mahachai Shortline. Leave in the morning, check out the seafood markets, have a killer lunch next to the pedestrian ferry pier, and then head back to Bangkok. Trains leave about every hour and cost 10B.

I would not cut my time short in Siem Reap or Luang Prabang. But that's just me.

#2 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,508
 Send Tilapia a private message   Where has Tilapia been? 

Posted by robweintraub on 29/8/2008 at 21:31

Wow! You are good. Thanks for the info, I think maybe i'll just stay in siem reap and luang prabang based on your suggestion.

#3 robweintraub has been a member since 29/8/2008. Posts: 2

Posted by Tilapia on 29/8/2008 at 23:31

Thanks ... but don't get me wrong. I love Bangkok. It is definitely a city worth seeing.

#4 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,508
 Send Tilapia a private message   Where has Tilapia been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.