Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

which island for a single female traveller?

Posted by misskismet on 27/9/2008 at 12:23

hi have been lurking around the site for a while and have always found it informative, so hoping for some input here. i live in bangkok and am thinking that instead of spending all my cash at siam every weekend, i should explore the islands a bit. ideally i'd leave on friday morning (even though sometimes i can only leave at night) and need to be back monday morning. any idea on which islands would be a good place for me to go alone?

i don't really want to party, but i don't mind beach bars. would love to learn how to dive too.

#1 misskismet has been a member since 26/9/2008. Posts: 2

Posted by mic59 on 27/9/2008 at 20:21

Can't give you too much info myself, but tezza who writes on this board has a good site. This is his blog address :

http://tezza-thailandbeachesandislands.blogspot.com/

#2 mic59 has been a member since 30/7/2008. Posts: 107

Posted by somtam2000 on 28/9/2008 at 07:19 admin

The best spot for short weekenders from Bangkok is Ko Samet -- I'd start with that and then try further afield. The Ko Chang group aren't too bad, but just going for a weekend is rushed. Further afield you can always fly south to Samui of Krabi, but again for a weekend is tight.

#3 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,710
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by sirhalberd on 28/9/2008 at 20:52

For a weekend only you could also go to Pattaya. Pattaya is only around 125 baht by bus from Ekamai. They have diving instruction, Google up "diving in Pattaya" and you will get some hits like this one.
http://www.mermaiddive.com/

Pattaya might be the cheapest place you can get to quickly. You could stay in the Jomtien area and never venture into Pattya City area. But, if you want an island, from the Walking Street area of Pattaya, find the Bali Hai Pier - at that pier you can take the cheap 20 baht ferry to Koh Larn Island. http://www.kohlarn.com/

Hotels are cheaper in Pattaya than Bangkok. Transportation is only 10 baht by baht bus. If you don't care for the weekend excursion you are only out a few baht for the bus ride and you can scratch this city off your map for future trips. There's lots of weekends to experiment with.

Good luck.

#4 sirhalberd has been a member since 30/12/2007. Posts: 295
 Send sirhalberd a private message 

Posted by travelrock on 29/9/2008 at 08:28

for a single female pattaya is not the place to go, unless she's a lesbian looking for bargirls.

samet or hua hin is ok alone for beaches. otherwise fly south.

#5 travelrock has been a member since 19/4/2008. Posts: 209

Posted by nedz on 29/9/2008 at 09:46

dont go to Pattaya.
I did. And i am that way.

#6 nedz has been a member since 14/9/2008. Posts: 26

Posted by tezza on 29/9/2008 at 12:02

I'd agree that Samet is the obvious start - followed by the Chang island group over near Trat. I also agree that Pattaya is not such a good idea.
Islands further afield are okay if you can afford to fly. You can reach a lot of the Andaman islands thru Phuket, Krabi or Trang (I don't think the flights to Ranong for Ko Phayam and little Ko Chang Andaman side coincide with weekends - check Air Asia). And you can fly onto Samui for the southern Gulf islands - note that the weather tends to be a fair bit wetter there between now and late Dec, early Jan.
Overnight train trips will get you to Trang for a whole bunch of nice islands and to Surathani for Samui etc - I'm not sure of the return trips' timing: whether you can get an overnight sleeper back to Bangkok. But you can get overnight bus trips to/from all the southern areas - mind you my bus from Ranong got into Phuket at 4am which means you are going to be yawning a lot at work on Monday.
A good site to check for overnight bus/fast Catamaran trips to Tao/Phangan/Samui is Lomprayah - this outfit is often praised and seems not to be dodgy like a lot of the non-government-bus operations out of Bangkok. Tao and Phangan are great starter islands out of their wet season.

#7 tezza has been a member since 13/4/2006. Posts: 1,345
 Website 

Posted by misskismet on 30/9/2008 at 13:25

thanks all! will update when i decide on where to go!

and nope, am not a lesbian looking for bar girls. thanks for the tip!

#8 misskismet has been a member since 26/9/2008. Posts: 2

Posted by cookiepower on 1/10/2008 at 19:25

hi definitely samet for the weekend only a few hours by bus and you dont seem to get the excess of drunken western tourists as much as you do on other islands

jep bungalows are a good place to stay 350 baht i think for shared shower and toilets but you get a lovely big bed clothes rail and tv with movie channels definitely good for when it rains ;)

#9 cookiepower has been a member since 12/7/2008. Posts: 19

Posted by clb76 on 8/10/2008 at 06:51

What weekend are you planning on going? I'll be in Koh Samui Dec 27 - Dec 30..

#10 clb76 has been a member since 21/9/2008. Posts: 8

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.