Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

rainy season

Posted by devondudley on 13/10/2008 at 18:00

just looking for some advise ill be around the islands from 2nd week in november till 7th of dec looking to get some sun and chill out. i read some where that somme islands are bad this time of year. any advise on which ones to go to would be great to avoid the rain

#1 devondudley has been a member since 13/10/2008. Posts: 1

Posted by Jon_Mak_Mak on 13/10/2008 at 18:28

Hi, Its pretty hard to avoid the rain in rainy season. Every where in Thialand rains so don't let it stop you.

Take an umbrella. :)

#2 Jon_Mak_Mak has been a member since 21/2/2007. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 464
 Website 

Posted by mic59 on 14/10/2008 at 06:11

Refer to the Thailand weather map to the right. Most islands the chance of rain is less in November/December than other months. When I was on Koh Chang in Trat province(late Oct/early Nov) the weather was beautiful. The main thing is don't let any worries about the weather spoil your holiday.

#3 mic59 has been a member since 30/7/2008. Posts: 107

Posted by mic59 on 14/10/2008 at 06:22

Unfortunately we can't edit posts so here is an addition to my post above. Rainy days per month is the important figure on the weather map and islands in the Chanthaburi, Phetburi, Trat and Prachuap Khiri Khan provinces would be best. These only have 1-2 rainy days pm in Nov/Dec. The better known island on the Andaman coast(Koh Samui, Pha Ngan etc.) have about 15 rainy days.

#4 mic59 has been a member since 30/7/2008. Posts: 107

Posted by tezza on 17/10/2008 at 09:34

The southern Gulf islands (Samui, Phangan, Tao) tend to be wetter in November. They have a different wet season - normally Oct into Jan.
Prolonged wet periods are not too common in Thailand but I have to say in all the years I've been following the wet season (I'm a weather nerd, got a weather page in the link below) the most complaints of this have come from the Samui area islands in Oct, Nov and early Dec. But things are variable - I've only visited this area once during THAT period, in Nov 97, and I got good weather.

In other regions early November often sees the wet season tapering off - by mid November often dry season has kicked in.
Nov is my favourite time for doing the Andaman because there is normally heaps of sunshine with the occasional ripper storm, but it is shoulder season with plenty of vacancies, fewer crowds yet all ferry transport normally open. I'll be there this year.

As outlined above, it can be even better in the eastern Gulf (big Chang and neighbours plus Samet) and the North, where statistically and anecdotally the wet season ends earlier than the elsewhere.

#5 tezza has been a member since 13/4/2006. Posts: 1,345
 Website 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.