Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

cooking classes

Posted by Yun on 8/11/2008 at 19:57

i'm very interested in learning south-east asian cooking, and am planning on going to thailand and vietnam so can do that in either.

i've seen all the companies listed from chiang mai. has anyone got first hand experience with any of these? are there any in bangkok? are there good schools in vietnam also?

#1 Yun has been a member since 18/8/2007. Posts: 25

Posted by somtam2000 on 10/11/2008 at 02:37 admin

Both Hanoi , Hoi An and Saigon all have good cooking schools that I know of off the top of my head (though I have not cooked at any of them personally). See the sights listings for the above towns for more information.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,565
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by alisonmilliken on 12/11/2008 at 15:44

not sure just how extensive you want your cooking course. I have done a few different ones... In Chaing Mai the Chaing Mai Cooking School is excellent, as is the pad Thai Cooking School - they do differnt courses and you can go to the market to check out the necessary ingredients as well.
In Bangkok the Blue Elephant Restaurant does a really highly regarded cooking school where they teach Royal style Thai cooking. (I haven't done this one, but have been to their restaurant and if was MINDBLOWINGLY good. ) There are lots of cooking schools around, Many guesthouses will offer one... or tour companies. In Kanchanaburi Apple's Guesthouse does a really good cooking school.

#3 alisonmilliken has been a member since 10/12/2006. Posts: 70

Posted by Yun on 16/11/2008 at 21:01

thanks for your help and replies

somtam - i couldn't find any listed in the sights under hanoi. am i looking in the wrong place?

are there any in bangkok or other places in thailand that are especially renowned? doesn't matter too much where it is - as long as the classes and food are good!

#4 Yun has been a member since 18/8/2007. Posts: 25

Posted by somtam2000 on 17/11/2008 at 08:35 admin

Sorry, my mistake -- we've got cooking class info in the Travelfish Guide for Hanoi , but it's not available on the main site. Here's the relevant snippet:

"Cooking courses
There’s so much great food in Hanoi , you’d be mad not to give up a half day or so to have a go at whipping it up yourself. Thankfully there are a bunch of cooking class providers who’ll help you get your bun cha just right.

Hidden Hanoi has a purpose-built kitchen and a bunch of menus to choose from. Classes cost US$35 per person for a minimum of three people.

Highway 4 is known for its bush food but the cooking classes are more mainstream and include a market tour. Rates start at US$36 for a minimum of two people.

At the other end of the spectrum, the Sofitel Metropole offers half-day cooking classes starting at US$65 and full day courses at just shy of US$100.

Hidden Hanoi: 137 Nghi Tam. T: (091) 225 4045. www.hiddenhanoi.com.vn
Highway 4: 5 Hang Tre. T: (04) 926 0639. www.highway4.com
Sofitel Metropole: 15 Ngo Quyen. T: (04) 826 6919. www.sofitel.com"

Hope that helps!

#5 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,565
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.