Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Tentative Itinerary

Posted by terryMac on 21/11/2008 at 02:02

My wife and I, mid 50’s, will be travelling to Thailand for 8 weeks from Jan 14 to March 13. We have come up with a tentative itinerary and wish to get your input. Here goes. Arrive BKK on Jan 14 and looking at staying in Siam Square area due to transportation benefits. Thinking about Wendy House or White Lodge. Stay 4 days then bus/train to Kanchanaburi, bus to Ayutthaya →Sukhothai → Chiang Mai (here to trek for a few days), then either bus/rent car/car and driver to go to Phrae→ Chiang Rai (here to trek-LP suggests Fhu Travel Service- better doing this here or out of Chiang Mai or both? → Chiang Rai →Chiang Chong →slow boat or Nagi of Mekong(if they still exist) →Luang Prabang →bus to Vientiane →Nong Khai → Udon Thani → Khon Kaen →Ubon Ratchathani (is this city worth a visit?) → train/plane to BKK →Air Asia to Phnom Penh (2days) → Siem Reap/Angkor Wat(3 days) → fly BKK. Not sure how long the above will take but we want to spend the last 7-10 days relaxing on a beach before flying back to Canada. Koh Lak has been suggested. We like to snorkel, don’t dive, really don’t want to cook. Are we missing something obvious? Any suggestions?

#1 terryMac has been a member since 21/11/2008. Posts: 2

Posted by somtam2000 on 21/11/2008 at 06:21 admin

Hi terryMac,

Looks good to me.

For trekking I'll second LP's rec on Fhu Travel -- they're excellent. The trekking is much different out of Nan rather than Chiang Mai -- more a focus on the scenery than on seeing x,y,z different hill tribes each day.

Ubon Ratchathani is a good place -- food is excellent. Very untouristed. Try to make the time to get out to Khong Chiam if you can -- it's where the Moon River meets the Mekong -- very scenic (and more good eating!). There's also an interesting national park nearby.

If you're heading to Khao Lak and like to snorkel -- consider a trip out to the Similan Islands -- reputedly the best snorkelling/diving in Thailand. It's been some time since I've been there, but believe both day trips and overnight visits (liveaboards) are available.

Hope that helps!

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,565
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.