Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Penang to Krabi

Posted by cathg on 10/12/2008 at 00:01

Hi all

Does anyone have any experience of travelling overland from Penang to Krabi? If yes, maybe you could help: What's the best way to do this - train & bus? only bus? Can it be done in one go, or would I have to do it in bits? How long approx is the journey? And is getting the visa at the border relatively simple?

Thanks!

#1 cathg has been a member since 6/9/2008. Posts: 2

Posted by sirhalberd on 10/12/2008 at 10:32

In Penang there are several travel agencies who specialize in arranging transportation between Malaysia and Thailand.

Backpackers often use these travel agencies. About 9 years ago I used a similar travel agency in Bangkok which moved passengers by vans and buses to Penang/Butterworth. I can't remember the name of the travel agency in Penang but there seemed to be several of them providing the same services. You might check out some places near Leith Street and Jalan Penang, my hotels were on those streets and the travel agency was not far away.

You could check with them and book a ride to Phuket and from there go to Krabi. Google "How to get from Penang to Phuket" and you will get some ideas. You can fly from Penang too - check for discount airlines flying direct to Phuket.

Good luck.

#2 sirhalberd has been a member since 30/12/2007. Posts: 295

Posted by fondo on 11/12/2008 at 11:58

Krabi is well south of Phuket, so I wouldn't go there. The standard way is pretty simple - by minibus to Hadyai and then connect to Krabi. This takes about a day. Maybe you can buy a through ticket in Penang, I don't know. There are plenty of minibus, backpacky type travel agents along Chulia St in Georgetown.

The train to Hadyai is possible, but takes a lot longer.

I've never had any visa problems, but note the posts suggesting that its now only 14 days at a land crossing.

#3 fondo has been a member since 23/6/2006. Posts: 171
 Where has fondo been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.