Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Diving Similan and Surin Islands?

Posted by littlemisstypeA on 21/12/2008 at 15:54

I need help with two things at the moment.
First, could anyone tell me how exactly to get from Bangkok to Khao Lak via train/bus/taxi, and about how much it would cost?
Second, are there any recommendations for dive centers/guides for the Surin and Similan Islands? I would really like to dive Richelieau Rock, Ko Tachai, and the Similan Islands, but would prefer day trips. What is the cheapest/best way to go?
Third (I know I said only two), are Hin Muang/Daeng really only suitable for experienced divers, or could beginners do them as well?

#1 littlemisstypeA has been a member since 21/12/2008. Posts: 4

Posted by swag on 22/12/2008 at 06:07

as far as i know you can do day trips to the similans,but it is via speedboat due to the distances so the cost is more than you would find elsewhere in thailand.this is why liveaboards are so popular as the distances are covered at night.i have dived hin daeng/muang with an open water ticket down to 18mts as long as your buoyancy is pretty good as the currents are pretty strong.cool spot with large manta rays and pelagics etc any questions ask away

#2 swag has been a member since 28/3/2007. Location: Australia. Posts: 331
 Send swag a private message 

Posted by cybervlad on 22/12/2008 at 19:52

littlemisstypeA, i dived Similans/Surins/Tachau/Richelieu Nov 2005 from Khao Lak .
IMHO best way to achieve Khao Lak is fly to Phuket airport then get a taxi (i think, around 1500 THB) to Khao Lak .
Also i would recommend you safari instead of daily diving. This will be less stressful for you and cheaper :)
Try to contact seadragondivecenter.com I have done diving with them and can give best recommendation.

#3 cybervlad has been a member since 6/6/2007. Location: Thailand. Posts: 182
 Send cybervlad a private message   Website 

Posted by littlemisstypeA on 29/12/2008 at 00:44

Thanks for the responses! I've decided to do a live aboard after all and have found a couple of companies I am interesed in. Has anyone had any (or heard of any) experiences with Similan Dive Safaris or MV West Explorer? I've read some negative comments about Seadragons live aboards on this website, any other suggestions? I'm looking for a maximum of 5 days/4 nights and under $700/person for a double bed cabin. Thank you all!

#4 littlemisstypeA has been a member since 21/12/2008. Posts: 4

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.