Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

bangkok to north thailand

Posted by tomlo1981 on 24/12/2008 at 20:49

i'm going to attempt 'the region' itinerary suggested oon this site in a reduced timescale (4 weeks) however am going to miss/fly some destinations. Pretty much want to start in Laos. what is the best way to get from Bangkok to Laos (north, somewhere like Luang Prubang maybe via north Thailand). i arrive at BK airport at 23.10 on 3/3/09 but would like to leave ASAP to begin the tour. I'll have already visited Bangkok so would like to start the journey immediately. Any suggestions are greatly apprdciated.

#1 tomlo1981 has been a member since 24/12/2008. Posts: 3

Posted by exacto on 24/12/2008 at 22:56

it sounds like your best bet would be to fly directly to luang prabang from bangkok on bangkok airways. they have two flights scheduled from bkk to lp on march 4th.

if you are keen to go via northern thailand, there are several discount airlines that fly from bkk to chiang mai. from there you can fly on lao airways from chiang mai to luang prabang. hope that helps. cheers.

#2 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,679
 Send exacto a private message   Where has exacto been? 

Posted by swag on 25/12/2008 at 06:21

hi you could also head to Nong Khai on the o/night sleeper,spend a night on the mekong checking out Nong Khai before you make the straightforward crossing into Laos via Vientiane.Personally I enjoyed the couple of days I spent checking out Vientiane.As exacto said you could also fly direct and do the loop backwards.The North East of Thailand( Isaan ) region is well worth a look

#3 swag has been a member since 28/3/2007. Location: Australia. Posts: 331
 Send swag a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.