Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Thai Visa Advice Needed

Posted by alitrfc on 27/12/2008 at 21:29

Hi, we are currently in Cambodia and are looking to get to Ko Samui for new year, the problem is we have been told that if we go over the border by land we will only get a 15 day visa? Can this be extended to a 30 day visa at the Thai Embassy in Bangkok if we prove that we have a flight leaving Thailand at the end of January? or is there any other suggestions on what we could do? thanks in advance

#1 alitrfc has been a member since 27/12/2008. Posts: 2

Posted by exacto on 28/12/2008 at 00:06

You might just try asking for 30 days when you arrive at the border. The new regulations definitely say 15 days for land arrivals, but some folks have reported receiving 30 days when it was obvious that they were not making a visa run.

If you are in Phnom Penh, you could also take all the fun and suspense out of the issue by getting a 30-day tourist visa at the Thai Embassy. But that costs a bit and you don't have much time to get that sorted before you need to travel.

If those don't work, you can apply for an extension at the immigration office once you arrive on Ko Samui. There is a fee, but it should be less than most of the other options.

One other possibility is to fly back into Thailand instead of take the land route. But I don't know for sure if arriving by air from a bordering country is any different than arriving by land from a bordering country in terms of 15 vs. 30 days visa waiver.

Good luck and please let us know how it works out.

#2 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,762
 Send exacto a private message   Where has exacto been? 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code

Posted by alitrfc on 28/12/2008 at 17:20

Thanks for the reply Exacto

We have looked into flying as apparently that defo gives u a 30 days visa, however it is very expensive. I think we will ask at the border for a 30 day visa and if not try and pay at the immigration office in Ko Samui for an extension

Thanks again for your help and will let you know how it works out

#3 alitrfc has been a member since 27/12/2008. Posts: 2

Posted by somtam2000 on 29/12/2008 at 05:51 admin

Hi alitrfc,

If you're in Phnom Penh, I'd just go to the embassy and get a tourist visa -- that is the simplest solution.

Reports from the border have varied -- as exacto says, some have got 30 days, but many, especially at the Poipet crossing, are getting only 15 days.

If you are given 15 days, you will not be able to extend it into a 30-day entry. You will though be able to get an extension on the 15 day stay, though reports have varied on the length of extension available.

#4 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,943
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by ChangFai on 29/12/2008 at 10:31

I would be amazed if you got more than 7 days , on the original 15 days.

Best to get a visa beforehand .

#5 ChangFai has been a member since 10/4/2007. Location: Thailand. Posts: 139

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.