Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Robbed Blind in Ko Pha-Ngan?

Posted by stewcon on 4/1/2009 at 16:20

I'm meeting friends in Ko Pha-Ngan for a week and am hearing poor reviews on security at guest houses....does anyone have any advice for a place that is close to the beach with good security/lock boxes? I'm looking at spending about $US 12-15 a night for 2 people. I'm not normally one to be paranoid (been travelling a long time with no problems).

#1 stewcon has been a member since 30/12/2008. Posts: 2

Posted by strutmisslizzie on 5/1/2009 at 11:04

I went with a tour and instead of staying on the main beach (Haad Rin) where the full moon party takes place we stayed one beach over (Haad Yuan, pronounced "had wan") it is a short long tail boat ride around the pier and is nice because it's close to the action without being right in the middle of it. I stayed at Barcelona resort but I heard most places over there were pretty reasonable. It's a bit of a hippie beach and SO much fun. I hope this helps!

#2 strutmisslizzie has been a member since 5/1/2009. Posts: 2

Posted by Jon_Mak_Mak on 5/1/2009 at 20:14

You have to be careful in Thailand and I would NEVER leave valuables in a room without a safe in any part of Thailand (or the world for that matter!)

As for accommodation goes, I would stay the other side of the Island than Haad Rin, I recommend Haad Yao (Long Beach) Or Further north there are some really nice beaches as well. You can still go to the full moon party but it doesn’t mean you have to stay in the thick of it.

#3 Jon_Mak_Mak has been a member since 21/2/2007. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 464

Posted by altmtl on 17/6/2012 at 08:54

I've never had a problem leaving stuff locked in my backpack in my room, that being said staying in Hadd Rin is not worth it, nicer beaches elsewhere on the island.

#4 altmtl has been a member since 18/5/2009. Location: Canada. Posts: 992
 Send altmtl a private message   Website   Twitter   Facebook  

Posted by guernseydan on 19/6/2012 at 13:54

Go around the corner to Haad Yuan for a little bit of paradise!

#5 guernseydan has been a member since 26/12/2010. Posts: 52

Posted by sayadian on 20/6/2012 at 00:59

If you worry about security in Thailand fHS don't come to Cambodia.Thailand is pretty safe most of the time the thieves are Westerners

#6 sayadian has been a member since 15/1/2008. Posts: 1,557
 Send sayadian a private message 

Posted by guava_girl on 20/6/2012 at 21:17

Unless you are in Haad Rin during the full moon party then I wouldn't worry about it. The island as a whole is pretty safe.

#7 guava_girl has been a member since 21/10/2010. Posts: 252

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.