Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Is Phi-Phi worth it?

Posted by attakwas on 6/1/2009 at 15:02

Hi. Am flying into Phuket early Feb and was planning on spending a couple of days on Phi Phi at Ao Toh Ko, hopefully, to chill and relax before carrying on. Can't help wondering tho if this is such a good idea due to certain reports filtering back regarding Phi Phi. Are my worries ill-concieved, or are there any better alternatives within easy travelling distance from Phuket airport?

#1 attakwas has been a member since 24/7/2008. Posts: 5

Posted by idreamofdurian on 6/1/2009 at 17:28 TF writer

What sort of place are you looking for? I haven't been to Phi-Phi so can't comment, but some areas of Northern Phuket are very secluded and peaceful. I also highly recommend Ko Tarutao or Ko Adang (in Satun province)).

I wrote the Phuket guide, so feel free to query me. Here's the online info:

#2 idreamofdurian has been a member since 5/9/2008. Location: Singapore. Posts: 576
 Send idreamofdurian a private message   Website   Twitter   Flickr  

Posted by Jon_Mak_Mak on 6/1/2009 at 18:19

It does really come down to what you like.

Phi Phi is overrated imo. I wasn't there for long but there are much better places.

#3 Jon_Mak_Mak has been a member since 21/2/2007. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 464

Posted by attakwas on 6/1/2009 at 19:09

Thanks for the reply, looking for "bungalow" type accomodation in a location where we can relax for a couple of days. Natural enviroment with a friendly vibe, and if it serves semi-decent food, or is available nearby and has a relaxed bar - even better

#4 attakwas has been a member since 24/7/2008. Posts: 5

Posted by travelrock on 6/1/2009 at 21:36

if u like snorkelling yes, otherwise no

it's a beatiful island if u stay away from ton sai

#5 travelrock has been a member since 19/4/2008. Posts: 209

Posted by jenniemcmartin on 6/1/2009 at 22:08

My husband and I are off to Toh Ko tomorrow. We were there three years ago and loved it to bits. It's secluded but perfectly so. You can walk to Tonsai but it's a hike over the viewpoint or along the beach (@ low tide only).
We were also just on Phi Phi for a few days over new years but only stayed in Tonsai which suited us fine as we were there to be social for the holiday.
If you want peace and quiet, good food and great snorkeling, Toh Ko is a great choice.
Hope that helps!!!
Jennie & Corey.

#6 jenniemcmartin has been a member since 24/12/2005. Posts: 8

Posted by attakwas on 9/1/2009 at 15:47

Appreciate the replies, gives me something to work with.

#7 attakwas has been a member since 24/7/2008. Posts: 5

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.